Solved Remote access to Debian printserver does not work

Hello,

After installation of FreeBSD 10.2 on my desktop computer I try to integrate this system into our Linux based LAN.

After adding hostname and IP of my Debian NAS in /etc/hosts I've access per SSH.

On this NAS with hostname taschenmaus.linux.pc and IP 192.168.1.100 I've configured the printers using cups, and remote access to this printers with all Linux clients in our LAN works.

But remote printing with FreeBSD client does not work. I've done the following:
Installing cups, avahi
My /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
hostname="biber.linux.pc"
keymap="german.iso.kbd"
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.1.102 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
sshd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
dbus_enable="YES"
kdm4_enable="YES"
fusefs_enable="YES"
avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
avahi_dnsconfd_enable="YES"
cupsd_enable="YES"
cups_browsed_enable="YES"
On my arch based clients I've to modify /etc/cups/client.conf with following entry:
Code:
ServerName taschenmaus:631
On Debian clients it is enough to install, enable and start cups and cups-browsed.

On FreeBSD there is no /usr/local/etc/cups/client.conf.
I've added this file from my antergos installation to /usr/local/etc/cups of my FreeBSD but after a reboot the cups webinterface still shows no printers.

How can I enable remote access on printers from my fresh installed FreeBSD system?

Kind regards,
Holger

From the FreeBSD machine, can you ping taschenmaus and if not can you ping 192.168.1.100?
If you can only ping 192.168.1.100 then either change your client.conf entry or make an /etc/hosts entry.

Hello shepper,

thanks for your help, but please look, what I've written:
After adding hostname and IP of my Debian NAS in /etc/hosts I've access per SSH.

So a ping with ip and also hostname works.

I've changed taschenmaus:631 with 192.168.1.100:631 in client.conf but this does not help. I've also modified entry taschenmaus:631 to taschenmaus.linux.pc:631 or taschenmaus without :631 but this also does not help.

When restarting cups-browsed I get following message:
Code:
root@biber:/home/holger # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups_browsed restart
Stopping cups_browsed.
Waiting for PIDS: 643.
Starting cups_browsed.
root@biber:/home/holger # Remote support for DNSSD not supported

Is missing DNSSD support responsible for my trouble with remote printer access?

On Debian NAS I use cups 1.7.5, should it also be a 2.x version? But arch based Linux clients also have Version 2.0.3 and it is not a problem to access to printers of Debian NAS with cups 1.7.5.

I wonder a little bit, that CommonUnixPrintingSystem shows different behaviour on Linux and FreeBSD systems. Is there some detailed documentation of remote printing for FreeBSD? I've found nothing in handbook and IMO cups, cups-browsed and remote printing is no exotic stuff.

So I've some more questions:
Is it correct also to have a client.conf on FreeBSD to manage remote printing?
Are the entries in /etc/rc.conf okay and is this enough for enabling remote printing on a FreeBSD cups-client?

I need further help.

Kind regards,
Holger

CUPS have extensive documentation. The only difference between Linux and FreeBSD is location of configuration files.

Hello Oko,

Thanks for your info. I know, that cups is well documented. But (referring to stuff of CUPS configuration) when I've done on FreeBSD the same as on my Linux machines, and with every Linux machine - arch based or Debian based - in our LAN me and my wife has no problem with remote access of our printers configured on Debian NAS but with FreeBSD, then it has to do with FreeBSD, not with CUPS configuration. There are differences between Linux and FreeBSD with starting, stopping, enabling things, so maybe it's my fault, that remote printer access fails on FreeBSD, but I've written exactly, what I've done on my FreeBSD machine and it seems to be okay, or isn't it?. I'm not familiar with FreeBSD but I'm familiar with Linux, working with it since 1998, compiling stuff or using a terminal for administration and I'm familiar with reading man pages and documentation :)

So how can I solve this? If you need further info, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Holger

I am not printing from my FreeBSD servers but IIRC the only curve ball with cups on FreeBSD (I used to run FreeBSD on the desktops 10 years ago) was that you have to hide native printing commands for LPD. That has never been documented.

Use this as a check list
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/cups/

Besides debugging CUPS is a bitch. I would start by making sure DNS and Firewalls settings are OK on your FreeBSD machine. So check hosts files if you are not using local DNS server and make sure Firewall is letting IPP out. Do you see anything in log files both on the client machine and your Debian printer server?

Hello Oko, hello shepper,

I have remote printer access also with FreeBSD, perhaps also before starting this thread.
When I enter webfrontend of cups under FreeBSD localhost:631 and have a look at printers, no printer of my Debian NAS can be seen, on my Linux Clients I can see this remote printers.
But when I have a look under FreeBSD at File >> Print ... in Libreoffice, in Firefox or Kate for example, then I can choose between my remote printers, and printing also is possible.

Thanks for your interest, and sorry, I should have test printing under an application before starting this thread, I've misinterpreted the printer page in webfrontend of cups, which shows me no printers.

Kind regards,
Holger

Back