Redmine Broken Forever

www/redmine has been marked broken since september. Does someone know something I don't know? For instance, today I was doing a
Code:
portsnap fetch update
and I see that the redmine folder was updated, but it is still marked broken? Perhaps the maintainer can shed some light?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for redmine alternatives?

Every time I have updated that port in the past -- and I mean EVERY time -- it has broken in one way or another. This makes me wonder if redmine is really a good bug tracking application. I doesn't seem to be working very well for the redmine team. :stud

dave said:
I see that the redmine folder was updated, but it is still marked broken?
Read the port's Makefile:
Code:
BROKEN=		Does not work with RubyGems 1.8

Every time I have updated that port in the past -- and I mean EVERY time -- it has broken in one way or another. This makes me wonder if redmine is really a good bug tracking application.
It doesn't sound like a good solid application you can rely on.

dave said:
This makes me wonder if redmine is really a good bug tracking application.
For bug tracking purposes, you could use Gnats or something else. Redmine is much more than a simple bug tracking application.

On the side note, you could create a jail with an old version of the ports system where redmine was still working (ex: ports from a 8.2 DVD or something) and offer www access to the jail from the outside world.

I suggest you use RVM and install it manually. That way you can have your own gem sets for Redmine and don't have to mess with your 1.8 installation from the ports.

Just downgrade to older version of RubyGems and it will work.

Current RubyGems is broken and has not yet been fixed.

Redmine 2.x works with RubyGems 1.8

Why is it still marked broken? Can it please be unmarked and updated? We've been stuck on version 1.2 because of that.

Thanks a lot!

Still broken

I submitted a PR as you suggested but to no effect. Do you know if anyone looked at it / did anything?

Thank you.

paulimi said:
I submitted a PR as you suggested but to no effect. Do you know if anyone looked at it / did anything?
Look at the PR. You can see who it's been assigned to, who did what (if anything), if it's closed, solved, etc.

paulimi said:
When I look at the PR, it just says "Over to maintainer". How do I find out if anything is being done?

You can email the maintainer regarding the status. If you still get no response you can try asking at the mailing list.

If all that fails, the port maintainer doesn't care, you can ask to become the port maintainer.

Still nothing

Is no one using Redmine on FreeBSD anymore? The port is stuck at 1.3, and can't be used with any plugins from the last year...

May be time to unbroke this port and update it to Redmine 2.1.4 version?

I've upgraded it manually with self made port "www/redmine2" and i've tested it with Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9. All works fine.

I've use on my system:
  • ruby-1.9.3.327
  • ruby19-bdb-0.6.6
  • ruby19-date2-4.0.19
  • ruby19-gems-1.8.24
  • ruby19-iconv-1.9.3.327
  • rubygem-daemon_controller-1.0.0
  • rubygem-fastthread-1.0.7
  • rubygem-passenger-3.0.17
  • rubygem-rack-1.4.1
  • rubygem-rake-0.9.2.2

My local installed gems:
  • actionmailer (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • actionpack (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • activemodel (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • activerecord (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • activerecord-mysql-adapter (0.0.1)
  • activerecord-mysql2-adapter (0.0.3)
  • activeresource (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • activesupport (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • acts-as-taggable-on (2.3.3)
  • acts_as_rated (0.4.1)
  • arel (3.0.2)
  • Ascii85 (1.0.2)
  • builder (3.1.4, 3.0.0)
  • bundler (1.2.2)
  • coderay (1.0.8)
  • daemon_controller (1.1.0, 1.0.0)
  • daemons (1.1.9)
  • erubis (2.7.0)
  • eventmachine (1.0.0)
  • factory_girl (4.1.0)
  • factory_girl_rails (4.1.0)
  • fastercsv (1.5.5)
  • fastthread (1.0.7)
  • hashery (2.1.0)
  • hike (1.2.1)
  • holidays (1.0.5)
  • i18n (0.6.1)
  • icalendar (1.2.1)
  • journey (1.0.4)
  • jquery-rails (2.1.4, 2.0.3)
  • json (1.7.5)
  • mail (2.5.2, 2.4.4)
  • mime-types (1.19)
  • multi_json (1.3.7)
  • mysql (2.9.0)
  • mysql2 (0.3.11)
  • net-ldap (0.3.1)
  • nokogiri (1.5.5)
  • open-uri-cached (0.0.5)
  • passenger (3.0.18, 3.0.17)
  • pdf-reader (1.2.0)
  • polyglot (0.3.3)
  • prawn (0.12.0)
  • prawn-core (0.8.4)
  • prawn-format (0.2.3)
  • prawn-layout (0.8.4)
  • prawn-security (0.8.4)
  • prototype-rails (3.2.1)
  • rack (1.4.1)
  • rack-cache (1.2)
  • rack-openid (1.3.1)
  • rack-ssl (1.3.2)
  • rack-test (0.6.2)
  • rails (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • railties (3.2.9, 3.2.8)
  • rake (10.0.2, 0.9.2.2)
  • rdoc (3.12)
  • rmagick (2.13.1)
  • ruby-openid (2.2.2, 2.1.8)
  • ruby-rc4 (0.1.5)
  • rubygems-update (1.8.24)
  • simplecov (0.7.1)
  • simplecov-html (0.7.1)
  • simplecov-rcov (0.2.3)
  • sprockets (2.8.1, 2.2.2, 2.1.3)
  • thin (1.5.0)
  • thor (0.16.0)
  • tilt (1.3.3)
  • treetop (1.4.12)
  • ttfunk (1.0.3)
  • tzinfo (0.3.35)
  • ya2yaml (0.31)

I have not see any bugs and troubles to install and use Redmine 2.1.4 on my system.

----
Regards,
Mikhail

PS: I've attached my gzipped diff file with patch from Redmine 1.3.1 to Redmine 2.1.4.
I'd be glad if it helps someone. :)

Attachments

• redmine-2.1.4.patch.gz
    28.4 KB · Views: 201

Mikhail,
Great, definitely helpful, thank you!
Do I first run the patch and then do a normal redmine upgrade as if I was installing a new version from a port?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

I've a copy of default port "www/redmine" with name "www/redmine2".
In fact, I switched to the custom port "www/redmine2" when was released version Redmine-2.1.2. After release of new update of Redmine I create a new patch and apply it to my custom port . Then follow the "cd /usr/ports/www/remine2 && make reinstall clean", "bundle install", "gem update" and other instructions from Redmine documentation.

If you want you can apply this patch to default port ("www/redmine") and reinstall it. Or you can make a copy of default port with new name and apply patch to it. It is your choise. :)

----
Regards,
Mikhail

Mikhail,
My apologies for not understanding you fully.

I did the following:
1. Download your patch.
2. Apply it to the existing redmine port (/usr/ports/www/redmine).
3. make reinstall clean.

This still shows the version as 1.3.1_1. Am I supposed to manually download Redmine 2.1.4, put it somewhere (where?), and then run the patch?

Thank you.
Paul

====

Shra said:
Paul,

I've a copy of default port "www/redmine" with name "www/redmine2".
In fact, I switched to the custom port "www/redmine2" when was released version Redmine-2.1.2. After release of new update of Redmine I create a new patch and apply it to my custom port . Then follow the "cd /usr/ports/www/remine2 && make reinstall clean", "bundle install", "gem update" and other instructions from Redmine documentation.

If you want you can apply this patch to default port ("www/redmine") and reinstall it. Or you can make a copy of default port with new name and apply patch to it. It is your choise. :)

----
Regards,
Mikhail

Back