Reddit copies forum look and feel

Don't know what the Foundation would think of this but Reddit's sub for FreeBSD copied the look and feel of this forum which, at first, made me think I was linked to the official forum: http://www.reddit.com/r/freebsd/

Personally, I have a very low opinion of reddit overall, though the FreeBSD sub is decent, but I wouldn't want anyone to think they were visiting this forum when they weren't. Not to mention their use of the logo.

Since anyone can create a subreddit, this could have been someone with good intentions. Since they lifted the header, they could have left the donation link.

I have brought this to the attention of the Board at the FreeBSD Foundation; it's up to them to enforce trademarks and regulate the use of FreeBSD imagery and logos.

Since anyone can create a subreddit, this could have been someone with good intentions. Since they lifted the header, they could have left the donation link.
I think this has already been pointed out in the subreddit itself, but the header image can't point to anything but the reddit front page. I'm sure they'd link back to the official site if they could.

That being said, good intentions or not, copyright is copyright.

The page looks great now and AFAICT there isn't any copyright infringement. What do you know? People on the Internet can actually be rational and reasonable.

I'm glad you posted there and glad they fixed the header. Twice I've been there since and both times thought I was on this forum.

As I said earlier, I can't have a lower opinion of reddit overall but at least the FreeBSD forum is decent. Not that I ever go there for anything.

Back