Solved Recompiling the kernel...how do I do that?

So, according to some (that are more knowledgable about that than me) - recompiling the kernel is easy, I followed the given instructions but... I cannot find the source, where do I find that?
Thanks
Melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks :) umm, and then, I assume the kernel will NOT dripsrip on to my system, I need to "fetch" it, more reading up :)
Melissa

downloaded and...unzipping, I'll go get some coffee, this can take a while...
Edit - done - I dont see any make.conf anywhere...as mentioned in the page ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, what I did was comment sound out of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.NoSound - that being the copy of GENERIC, but, that ends up in disaster...

@Melissa
Mind telling us what you're trying to accomplish by removing the sound drivers out of the kernel?

//Danne
There's another thread open where she's trying to get a specific sound card working that only works with the audio/oss port. Installing and configuring that port requires running a kernel without OSS compiled into it (aka, without sound drivers).

Hence, this thread.

diizzy - yes, I should have mentioned that...the full recap (in short):
I have a box (not a strong one but still) that uses a Lynx One as a studio card. That uses OSS. The built-in OSS does not seem to be able to work with the card. So, sound has to be taken out...
phoenix - sorry I did'nt point that out first time round. I come from "loose" fora... ;)
SirDice - hmm, in Linux, there is no other option, there the command is
make menuconfig
make
make install

Te first line takes you in a config cycle, then you save that config file...
kpa - thanks for the link...I have quite some learning to do it seems :)
Melissa
Edit - I did create a /etc/make.conf as instructed in the page:
As a rule, the system administrator creates make.conf when the values of certain control variables need to be changed from their defaults.
It is compiling now...
Edit - ...and the warning was ignored, the compile failed (well, not really, it boots)... the sound unit is still in there...
This really is a challenge :)
Edit - I think the card itself is broken o_O I did everything according to the books and I get no signal in from ardour...I'll restart...marking this as solved...

Last edited:
Back