Other Recommendations for small, low memory WM?

LXDE will take one hours from download to use. OB customized might take 2 weeks.
One is a desktop experience the other an simple desktop where you must setup everything.

Yes, but once you do, it's very portable. I have my openbox rc.xml file which I can use on a number of machines. (That's nothing against LXDE, my only point is that while it takes time to get Openbox into the shape you want it, it can be a one time effort.).

I agree that I exaggerated with two weeks setup time, but I feel it takes a longer time due to all the options available.
In the end you will be so proud that you will want to save your configuration.

I also should clarify that LXDE is a meta-port. This means it has its own suite of tools such as filemanager and image tool.
Openbox is not an meta-port. It is a blank canvas.

I love it! ;)

But I kinda dig the classic look too, for the nostalgia of the good ol' 90's. :beer:

I love it too, but I don't feel any nostalgia about it, because I'm 25 y.o :) so I was a kid in 90's. Those days I had Win 98 PC Celeron 500 with 64 MB RAM with my favorite "Dangerous Dave" game on it, but I didn't like it much, I loved my SEGA MEGA DRIVE II :D

I love it too, but I don't feel any nostalgia about it, because I'm 25 y.o :) so I was a kid in 90's. Those days I had Win 98 PC Celeron 500 with 64 MB RAM with my favorite "Dangerous Dave" game on it, but I didn't like it much, I loved my SEGA MEGA DRIVE II :D

I like fluxbox but I remember my 286 with 2MB of RAM and 40 MB Quantum HD, Philips VGA 14'' monitor running DOS and OS/2. I made in DOS with Clipper a "program" for one older friend which has vineyard for tracking his product and gave him computer because I bought 386. Now is 2016, he has still vineyard and he has still computer which I gave him and using the same program :)).
P.S.
floppy disk drive
He has 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppy disks.

To throw in my 2 cents, I would opt for either i3 or Openbox. Both are solid, though i3 requires quite some setup to get the configs down fully. StumpWM might be interesting, too, since it's written in Common Lisp and can in theory be expanded much like Emacs by all the Lispers around the world. Other than that, C language based WMs tend to be lighter on resources.

IceWM takes me 10 minutes, i got my configurations in my web mail folder, copy/paste and that's it. It uses 4.5 megs ram.
JWM I know it by heart, 5 minutes - uses 3 megs ram

So I see this thread has developed kind of it's own life in my short absence :p

I just wanted to give you an update: So far I still stick to slim/fluxbox which still amazes me for the relatively quick startup time considering the underlying hardware :eek:. Looking back over the past couple of weeks, I've mostly used the machine for:
  • Do things in an xterm (easily started via right-click context menu)
  • Browse stuff in Firefox (also easily accessed via right-click context menu)
  • Run Diablo II under wine emulator.
Maybe not necessarily in that order of preference... Only thing that really bugs me is the key mapping when running Diablo II in wine. Guess I will have to take a closer look at that some day.

I am currently using OpenBox+ fbpanel and it works very well. I have never tried a tiling Wm and recently started playing around with several: dwm, i3, spectrwm. I like the "look" of i3 but it behaves very strangely on my system: every workspace has the "watch cursor" like the WM is doing something in the background. This eventually goes away but it takes 20-30 seconds. The wm feels sluggish because of that. I know it isn't but can't figure out why this happens. I have since abandoned i3 and switched to spectrwm and I must say I really like it. The configuration is simple and it is very fast to start, even when starting applications on several workspaces. This will take some getting used to but the workflow is good. I did notice some applications do NOT like being closed by killing the window: TexStudio for one core dumps if I don't use the title bar's exit command.

Wallpaper has become irrelevant and I miss that - I like changing wallpaper and WM themes every few days. Tiling wm's are certainly a different way to interact and I do like it. Not sure I'll stick with it but I do see the benefits.

I knew about the page - one of the first ones I checked through Google :) I tried dwm but wasn't feeling energetic enough to deal with patching for configuration. I will check out the link you posted though for the next time I get bored. Thanks!

(Looks modest.) My pleasure.

I have a dwm page too, but less detailed than the Debian tutorial. If you get stuck patching it or anything, open a thread, I'll be glad to help.

Will do, appreciate it. Using Spectrwm as we speak - works well but just trying to get used to the usage paradigm. Different than anything else I've ever used. Guess I'll have to fire up dwm now that I really don't have anything else to do today :cool:

Back