Recommendation for LTE modem (M.2 interface, suitable for laptop)?

On GPS: I was able to get the NMEA data into a CLI client, but astro/gpsd's generic interface can not handle that data stream correctly. Yes I already have that astro/opencpn (again: should be in (new category) geo). Doesn't make much sense w/o GPS, though.

Now I received a SMS from my ISP: the mobile network will be updated step-by-step (AP-wise) to LTE/4G by the end of the year, and 3G will be canceled EDIT for data connections /EDIT. So I need another mobile phone, and a new LTE-capable modem anyway. I'll research about the freq-bands used in the EU and select a Sierra modem that can handle that. Will update the status about April, I guess, just for reference.

Last edited:
TWIMC Wow: from the sierrawireless.com website: "Sierra Wireless announced on March 23rd that it was the subject of a ransomware attack on its internal IT systems and websites. We believe we have addressed the attack, [...]"

Now I have to select one of these Sierra modems, I'm quite sure they're ok for my ThinkPad T450s:
  • EM7345, 7355: 10-15€ (new/refurbished)
  • EM7455: 10-30€ (new/refurbished); speed up to 100 - 300 Mbit/s, depending on what???
  • EM7565: 165€ (new); speed up to 600 Mbit/s; Satellite Systems : Galileo, Glonass, GPS, Beidou; Linux Driver: Standard ECM, Android RIL
Last not least, they're all either made in China or Vietnam... well, that's how the world is, if that stuff is premium quality like my new head lamp made in PRC, I will not complain.

I'm asking myself if I need Glonass (the russian satellite positioning navigation system), didn't know that Galileo is ready, Beidou sounds chinese, and if I'm ever going to need more that 100 MBit/s on a mobile connection? Neat effect of all that research is that now I have a glance of what a LFSR is, and I know that Kasami-Sequences were developed in 1966. I wonder how I managed to survive w/o all that...

In case you are not sure whether you want to trust the US Government to have actually given up the GPS Selective Availability feature with putting GPS III into operation, you possibly want to use GNSS, too.
So you can judge yourself which coordinates to trust, in case Baidou and Glonass show different than GPS.

Back