Solved Recommend network design info for me?

I have recently read several books on networking in an effort to learn enough to be able to safely redesign my home network with VNET segmentation and expose some jailed services, but I still don't know enough to do what I need. At this point, I'm definitely missing the knowledge in the middle between the user/sysadmin guides at the top and the textbooks at the bottom. Can anyone recommend things for me to read in the middle about general network design, bridges, vnet, firewalling, etc.?

Networking All in One for Dummies by Lowe
Networking for Systems Administrators by Lucas

what goes here in the middle?

An Introduction to Computer Networks by Peter L Dordal
Computer Networks: A Systems Approach by Peterson and Davie
Computer Networking: Principles, Protocols and Practice by Oliver Bonaventure

1. Computer Networks by Andrew Tanenbaum. That gives you enough information, to find your way.
2. Not recommended: Dummies (wasting paper/time/money), & Packt (they need few decent editors).
3. Bad strategy: STFW/YouTube for "top", "best", "vs", and Amazon book review/rank. They are rubbish.

I take my recommendation (Tanenbaum) back! and Yay/+1 for "Stevens", as SirDice has recommended.
Generally, "written by Richard Stevens" means "Just read it". Similar to Gilbert Strang in analysis/calculus.

Get a copy of "TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1" by W. Richard Stevens
Is the 1st edition still valid to read? Or has too much changed between the 1st and 2nd edition? I'm sure that I read negative reviews about the 2nd edition (published in 2011) as Stevens had nothing to do with it (he passed away in 1999).

Back