Solved rebuilding world , installworld, let etcupdate overwrite and update everything.

I plan to make a backup of my /etc directory.
I want etcupdate to think everything is fresh and allow to make every possible change.
Using my backup of my /etc directory I can do a manual diff replacing the changes.
I skipped a few etc updates, so I need to go this way. How do I proceed ?
If i'm correct etcupdate only pokes around in /etc directory and not in /usr/local/etc ?

And how do i make sure the next etcupdate i run i starts with a good "status" from its previous etcupdate, for it to do be able to do a good job.

As expiriment I'll buildworld, rename /etc to /etc_backup directory and check what installworld and etcupdate think of it....
If someone knows a wisely "mtree" command i can run on the /etc directory before and after i perform changes to log the changes ?

It was as easy as a piece of cake.
When you run "etcupdate extract" you have all the new files you need in "/var/db/etcupdate/current"
I just copied them blindy into /etc/ and rebuild the password db and login db with pwd_mkdb & cap_mkdb and set the localtime.
[PS1 : you can not rename /etc because it contains the password db which you always need]
[PS2 : Nor installworld, nor etcupdate touch "/usr/local/etc"]

Remains a question, when do you run etcupdate without a parameter, when with parameter "-p" and when with parameter "-B"

It was as easy as a piece of cake.
When you run "etcupdate extract" you have all the new files you need in "/var/db/etcupdate/current"
I just copied them blindy into /etc/ and rebuild the password db and login db with pwd_mkdb & cap_mkdb and set the localtime.
[PS1 : you can not rename /etc because it contains the password db which you always need]
[PS2 : Nor installworld, nor etcupdate touch "/usr/local/etc"]
doesn't that revert the passwords and such? mergemaster would check that a merge was done.

Back