reboot after hdd write fail

Hello fellas,

My system is a 8.0-RELEASE with 6 hdd's. 2 days ago I had some power failures and 2 disks were affected. These 2 hdd;s are connected to

Code:
atapci0: <SiI 3512 SATA150 controller> port 0xd000-0xd007,0xd100-0xd103,0xd200-0xd207,0xd300-0xd303,0xd400-0xd40f mem 0xfa4a0000-0xfa4a01ff irq 
12 at device 4.0 on pci2

s-ata controller. Before the power surge, the disks were operating normally. I use them for storage, therefore no system data is kept on them.

The issue here is that after the write failure, the box reboots. Up to this point I cannot figure out why it reboots, since the disks contain no "relevant" data (from a OS point of view).

Do you think it's normal for an OS to reboot if 2 disks have write errors ? even more so, if the disks have no OS files on them ?

The power failures may have damaged vital parts.

Have you tried to boot the system without the disks and then hot plugging them later on?

If you have a USB enclosure available you could also try to connect them as USB devices and try a fsck if the machine does not lock up or reset.

the system is behaving normally with or without the hdd's. The sole problem is that it reboot ONLY after a write failure.

I did not find any problems what so ever. The other 4 disks are ok and did not suffer any damage.

I ran a short and long s.m.a.r.t. test on all hdd's and all are ok.

and now le grand finale: all-of-a-sudden, there are no more write errors.

WTF ?????

Back