Realtek RTL8111e cannot send any packets

Welcome.

I had new FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE installed on my new PC, just for testing. This PC have ASUS P8H61-MX R2.0 motherboard, which contains integrated NIC Realtek RTL8111e. I theoretically configured it on the FreeBSD install process. But, it can't send any packets. This NIC is shown if I type ifconfig -a command, but with using a trick by ifconfig re0 -rxcsum -txcsum it works, but if I reboot the system, I must type it again. And, if I type it to /etc/rc.conf, this trick won't work - the NIC can't send any packets.

What's the problem? Poor quality driver or TCP/IP stack problem? And, what to do if I want to use FreeBSD normally with this NIC or buy a new NIC for PCI-E x1?

Realtek tends to modify their chips regularly without changing the identifications. They're not the best cards to have anyway but they're cheap. For some reason I seem to be lucky with all my Realtek cards but I do have issues from time to time.

How did you add the switches to rc.conf? The correct way is something like this:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP -rxcsum -txcsum"

@SirDice, yes, I added it to /etc/rc.conf as exactly as you given, no effects, system cannot get an IP address from DHCP server. Manual IP setting and ping to router doesn't give any effects - no answer from router, but if I ping router from Linux, it's answering.

Last edited by a moderator:
j4r3ck said:
Manual IP setting and ping to router doesn't give any effects - no answer from router, but if I ping router from Linux, it's answering.
If you ping the Linux box you can run tcpdump(1) there. But I'm guessing you won't see anything there either.

What chip/revision does yours have? You can see them with pciconf -vl | grep -A 4 re0:
Code:
root@molly:~ # pciconf -vl | grep -A 4 re0
re0@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0xe0001458 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x06 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
    device     = 'RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

This command showed me that my NIC has 0x09 revision. I guess that FreeBSD's re(4) driver isn't supporting this revision.

Back