Really? Is FreeBSD wandering into the land of Linux Voodoo?

I'm not sure where you found the "inherit" option for IP addresses, but that's not supported in jail.conf(5); you need to provide an IP address that is assigned to some interface running on the host (perhaps an alias.)

The IP address will be one that you've already assigned to an 'actual' network adapter, perhaps as an alias. There are a number of tools out there to make jails easier to manage; iocage and ezjail come to mind.
Inherit is in fact an option though. It just reveals everything from the host network stack to the jail. So a daemon can bind on any IP address from the host. EG; in jail.conf; ip4 = inherit; ip6 = inherit;

Mea culpa; I didn't dig far enough: jail(8)

host Set the origin of hostname and related information. Possible
values are ``inherit'' to use the system information and ``new''
for the jail to use the information from the above fields. Set-
ting any of the above fields implies a value of ``new''.
- from jail(8)

Ah. Should have thought of that. If I understand that correctly that will inherit all required net information from the host(?).

The most important with the jail is permissions.
Since it is a Linux/ BSD project, you have chances that the config files are in different directories than the regular BSD ones. Since the jail has already a strange directory pattern, you will end to look at the source code. If you can look at it, maybe there are chances to bring this up.

The basics between Winux and BSD are quite different these days once one goes into the details. At first glance and usuage one can recognize the similarities but in the last few years the ethos of Linux (Winux) has diverged from unix quite a bit and it was always more 'progressive' than BSDs. systemd proves who was right about premises.

Have only had to deal with attr on CentOS once... I degress and go off-topic.

I guess that it started at the age of pulseaudio, once gnome changed... then systemd.
Maybe, influence of RedHat or Ubuntu. By the end, FreeBSD will change as well. You cannot keep using a same technology, because the world changes *fast*. Therefore users will need new software's to be implemented. The more amazing, new, revolutionary Wayland-like things, the increased chances that it brings changes in the base of FreeBSD. People could then move from FreeBSD to OpenBSD to get their servers running.

host Set the origin of hostname and related information. Possible
values are ``inherit'' to use the system information and ``new''
for the jail to use the information from the above fields. Set-
ting any of the above fields implies a value of ``new''.
- from jail(8)

Ah. Should have thought of that. If I understand that correctly that will inherit all required net information from the host(?).
No ... that is just the hostname that will be inherited from the host :).
If you want the network stack to be the same in the jail you set this in jail.conf:
Code:
www {
    ip4 = inherit;
    ip6 = inherit;
}

No ... that is just the hostname that will be inherited from the host :).
If you want the network stack to be the same in the jail you set this in jail.conf:
Code:
www {
    ip4 = inherit;
    ip6 = inherit;
}

Doesn' t work for me...

Spartrekus

Wayland is amazing? Let us remove most of the functionality of 30 years of software so gamers and eye candy enthusiasts have slightly looking better graphics. Never mind that is performs worse than X for most games, performs worse than most compositors. It is only good for Fedora and the GNOME virus, maybe. It also generates more heat for little benefit and only formally mentioned users.

Like everything out of Red Hat/Fedora it is Alpha software being pushed to the masses as Alpha Testers. Sounds familiar: Windows. At least Red Hat is not Oracle, Microsoft, Apple.

Doesn' t work for me...
I was almost gonna post: "that's too bad for you". You really have to give me something.
Do you get the same error as at the start? Can you (re)share your current config that doesnt work?

A few things I noticed in the jail.conf you shared is that you specify "interface". I think that it must not be used together with inherit. You either bind the jail to a host IP address OR give it all addresses (inherit) OR use VIMAGE aka VNET. Also two little mistakes/typos: at exec.stop it should be /etc/rc.shutdown, and exec.start should be /etc/rc not /etc/rc.conf.

Thanks for pointing out the typos. I will try later in the future when I have the time again.

Spartrekus

Wayland is amazing? Let us remove most of the functionality of 30 years of software so gamers and eye candy enthusiasts have slightly looking better graphics. Never mind that is performs worse than X for most games, performs worse than most compositors. It is only good for Fedora and the GNOME virus, maybe. It also generates more heat for little benefit and only formally mentioned users.

Like everything out of Red Hat/Fedora it is Alpha software being pushed to the masses as Alpha Testers. Sounds familiar: Windows. At least Red Hat is not Oracle, Microsoft, Apple.
Well, Linux goes for Wayland. They do might remove those 30 years, as you wrote.
I believe in terminal and X11 if opensource.

Back