Reading / Writing in serial port

When testing new RS232 devices, I tend to short RX and TX and then use cu or some code I wrote a while back to see if bytes get through. They all seem to say they use some random Prolific chip but none of them are really the same, often some are dead.

But you say that you are experiencing the device vanishing when using it with FreeBSD? There isn't too much I can recommend for that. Perhaps try it in VirtualBox running on FreeBSD and use the USBv1.1 passthrough? Luckily v1.1 won't be the bottleneck in this case.

It is strange that it works with Linux but not FreeBSD. Possibly it could be a power thing but usb / serial adapters specifically do tend to use very little.

I tried "#picocom -b 115200 /dev/cuaU0" and that worked for a randomly selected USB port which was connected to a MEGA2560 (extended Arduino) printing DS18B20 sensor data. It might be helpful to check picocom.c which uses open() to bind the USB serial port. It's 2200 lines of code.

I use the mega2560 because it has 3 UART channels. Most Arduino variants have UART for control and no free UART for application.

Hello, I wanted to add some notes to the thread. They brought me another device, same features, and works fine, without needing to use the modification with sysctl
Some problem had the first one I used

Back