Solved Raspberry Pi 4 not booting the RPI-B image

My work gave me a gift voucher and I decided to use it to purchase a Raspberry Pi Model 4B 4GB because it was less depressing than purchasing the lamp I desperately need in my bedroom. Furniture is overrated.

I have downloaded the RPI-B armv6/armv7 .img archive file off of the FreeBSD.org/where getting spot, and did a dd of the img straight onto a microSD as per instructions online.

Slammed the microSD into the Pi 4 and I get four slow flashes of the green light and then four quick flashes, and no apparent booting.

I then tried writing the microSD again but using the Raspberry Pi Imager, and specifying the .img for it to write. Same issue.

However, if I use the Pi Imager to install Ubuntu 23.10 64-bit onto the card, and stick the card into the Pi, it boots up fine.

dd'ing the .img file seems weird to me as I feel that it would just set the size of the partition to the size of the image and not be writable, so maybe the Imager is weaving some magic with the Ubuntu image that I need to do manually to the FreeBSD one? I haven't seen any steps that I need to perform though.

Help me understand!

Thanks

My work gave me a gift voucher and I decided to use it to purchase a Raspberry Pi Model 4B 4GB because it was less depressing than purchasing the lamp I desperately need in my bedroom. Furniture is overrated.

I have downloaded the RPI-B armv6/armv7 .img archive file off of the FreeBSD.org/where getting spot, and did a dd of the img straight onto a microSD as per instructions online.

Slammed the microSD into the Pi 4 and I get four slow flashes of the green light and then four quick flashes, and no apparent booting.

I then tried writing the microSD again but using the Raspberry Pi Imager, and specifying the .img for it to write. Same issue.

However, if I use the Pi Imager to install Ubuntu 23.10 64-bit onto the card, and stick the card into the Pi, it boots up fine.

dd'ing the .img file seems weird to me as I feel that it would just set the size of the partition to the size of the image and not be writable, so maybe the Imager is weaving some magic with the Ubuntu image that I need to do manually to the FreeBSD one? I haven't seen any steps that I need to perform though.

Help me understand!

Thanks
I've recently had the same experience on the following pi hardware with 13.2:
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

I tried the image that bakul recommended this morning and it worked on all of my raspberrypi hardware types. I'm not big on using RC releases for production but moving the pi into my lab subnet until RELEASE will work for me.

pacal683 bakul also fixed my issue but I didn't use the 14.0 image that he linked. The issue turned out to be that I was using an image from the wrong architecture. Pi 3 and Pi4 are arm64/aarch64, and I was trying to use the armv6 image.

If you go here - https://www.freebsd.org/where/ - and see under SD Card, there will be RPI (3 / 4) under the aarch64 section. NOT the RPI-B image referenced in the section below it.

bakul thanks

Back