Raspberry Pi 4 announced

weberjn

I am pleased to report I have reached the login prompt on the raspberry pi 4.

Unfortunately I can’t login yet as shortly after /sbin/init starts something trashes the serial com link and I only get garbage over serial (in either direction). Probably just a misconfiguration.
Any progress in the last three months?

RobCrowston

Any progress in the last three months?
I am able to login interactively over serial by doubling the speed of the serial link after init starts. I haven’t the faintest idea why the link speed changes. Things work well enough, but no peripherals or network so I’m limited in what I can test after logging in. But fundamentally the operating system works.

I took a look at the Linux ethernet driver “genet” in the hopes I could re-implement it on the FreeBSD side. I guess there might be licensing issues with that, but I figured it’s better than nothing. Unfortunately I don’t really understand the Linux stack well enough to make much progress. I also reached out to broadcom to ask for the specs. They were not helpful. I haven’t really had a lot of time to work on it unfortunately.

weberjn

I also reached out to broadcom to ask for the specs. They were not helpful. I haven’t really had a lot of time to work on it unfortunately.
Anyway, thanks for the update. Is your code so far somewhere accessible?

Thanks for your work, I do believe support for the RPI4 ist very important.

RobCrowston

Kyle Evans has picked this up and made a number of PRs to mainline in the last few days to enable pi4 support out of the box. I’m very pleased. In particular he figured out the DMA controller problem I wasn’t able to solve.