Raid PCI Card

I have a compaq system that only supports IDE drivers, I use it on FreeBSD. I want to get a Raid card that supports Raid 1. Which card Should i get that would be fully supported?? i dont want to spend more than $50 soo:

- PCI interface
- Support for 1.5TB HD
- SATA II
- FreeBSD support
- Around $50

Thanks =)

SuperMiguel said:
I have a compaq system that only supports IDE drivers, I use it on FreeBSD. I want to get a Raid card that supports Raid 1. Which card Should i get that would be fully supported?? i dont want to spend more than $50 soo:

- PCI interface
- Support for 1.5TB HD
- SATA II
- FreeBSD support
- Around $50

Thanks =)

You should not get any RAID card! That kind RAID card is a peace of crap. You are far better of using software RAID.

If you want SATA, just get a generic, standard PCI SATA controller. Don't get a "RAID" controller, as any controller under $100 won't be a real, true, hardware RAID controller. And for RAID1, you don't need a hardware RAID controller.

Just put in a PCI SATA controller, and use gmirror.

umm from that page newegg.com which controller would u recommend that actually has a chipset that is known to work with freebsd..

SuperMiguel said:
umm from that page newegg.com which controller would u recommend that actually has a chipset that is known to work with freebsd..

This is very, very good reading for you. Don't be fooled by the fact that it is written for OpenBSD. The only difference on FreeBSD might be that FreeBSD probably does support some cheap crap but deeply down in their soul all BSD developers think the same about the hardware.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#RAID

Back