radiusd and PEAP: certificate validation?

zirias@

Developer
I'm using net/freeradius3 to provide authentication with PEAP for wifi clients. Previously, I used certificates issued by my own local CA. This worked well when installing the CA certificate on the clients (including my android phone). They were issued for the name of my local domain, let's say home.mydomain.invalid, although the radiusd is running on a host inside that domain, e.g. auth.home.mydomain.invalid.

Now, a persisting problem was that the older android phone of my wife would never accept the certificate. I read about the risks of using certificates issued by a public CA (which would be someone managing to get a "fake" certificate for my domain name somehow and use it to setup a fake AP stealing user credentials, well…) and decided that risk was small enough, so I now tried to use a "letsencrypt" certificate on the radiusd instead.

Unfortunately, the problem got worse: My own phone won't accept that certificate either. So far I tried a certificate issued for home.mydomain.invalid as well as one issued for both auth.home.mydomain.invalid and home.mydomain.invalid.

The first thing I don't understand is: how does a client know which name to expect? In the APs, you only configure the IP-Address(!) of the radius server, and give it a "radius profile name" (which I set to home.mydomain.invalid). And then, could there be other things "wrong" with the certificate so clients trying to authenticate with PEAP would reject it?

i have similar setup with a real tld and domain using a letsencrypt cert
iirc there was a problem with one android phone i tested but cant remember how i solved it (if i solved it)
it works on mac / windows 10 / latest ios
mac is prompting me to accept the cert everytime i renew it
but the certificate is a vanilla one which i use for lots of services (web / imap / smtp / ike)
i can test again on monday with an android phone

JFTR, of course I use a real TLD/domain here as well, mydomain.invalid. just used for not disclosing it unnecessarily ;) Thanks for confirming that it should work.

i dont think clients care about the cn . they care about the signing chain and if root ca and intermediates are trusted
also they may barf if certs are md5 signed and other stuff
this is what i have in mods-enabled/eap

private_key_file = ${certdir}/privkey.pem
dh_file = ${certdir}/dh
certificate_file = ${certdir}/cert.pem
ca_file = ${certdir}/chain.pem
cert and chain is what you get from letsencrypt with same names

i dont think clients care about the cn . they care about the signing chain and if root ca and intermediates are trusted
If that's true, it would be a major security risk. A fake AP could use any valid certificate for any name to "trick" clients into authenticating with MSCHAPv2. So, if that's really the case, I'm back to my own local CA :eek:

Oh, of course, that's a way to solve it. But not a good one…

So, with PEAP, there's no mechanism for the client to know which certificate subject to expect? Can anyone confirm this? In that case, I really think using your own CA and configuring clients to only accept certificates signed by this CA is the only sane approach :(

so the risk exists but for a home network its probably acceptable if the users are careful enough
the solution is eap-tls but you have to install certs on every client or have an automated distribution method

so the risk exists but for a home network its probably acceptable if the users are careful enough
Mostly. But asking the user about every new server certificate is not what I had in mind. I'm still hoping there is a way for the client to determine an expected subject/SAN on the cert and verify against that (which would only leave the attack vector via a fake certificate obtained somehow, quite similar to basic auth via https).

Right now, the situation on my android phone is pretty bad. When telling it to use system certificates, it asks for a domain. I tried putting home.mydomain.invalid there, so it matches the certificate. Still, the phone doesn't accept it :( You can also select a CA certificate, but android only offers user-installed CA certificates for that (back to square one). The only way to log in right now is setting my phone to accept any certificate (yep, no way to have the phone ask me either :( ), so, this is really unacceptable.

the solution is eap-tls but you have to install certs on every client or have an automated distribution method
Sure, but if I have to configure all clients anyways, I'll rather go with deploying my CA cert there and still use PEAP, restricted to that CA… which didn't work on this one old android phone, which is where I started. Ah, crap… :rolleyes:

Guess I have to check what wpa_supplicant on FreeBSD and my Win10 notebook from work make of the new letsencrypt cert, just to get further hints…

tested the android phone, galaxy a51 / android 11
it connects to wpa enterprise only if the domain is cert CN or cert DNS
i used use system ca, domain one of cert DNS names and request status
i use GTC for phase 2

if i put in an bogus domain wont connect (invalid credentials)

Thanks, that's good news! But I still don't understand: What is the domain name in this context? A domain part in the login credentials (like myuser@home.mydomain.invalid)?

Hm I guess you misunderstood my question: How does the client know which domain to expect? It connects to an SSID… Or is there a way to explicitly configure a domain on the client? My android phone offers my a "domain" input field, but unfortunately, it doesn't work with my letsencrypt cert :(

Attachments

• 5EB77065-C18D-4434-85F0-D7035CED9266.jpeg
    5EB77065-C18D-4434-85F0-D7035CED9266.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 104
Ok thanks again, that's this input field I was referring to. So, I have yet another problem on my phone, cause putting the correct name there doesn't make it work :(

Part of the problem is android not giving any meaningful error messages, no matter what's wrong, it's "authentication problem".

But I can see in the radiusd logs it's a TLS problem. When I don't check the cert at all, authentication works.

do you send both ca files as root-ca from radius or just the first ?
i send both
also i have

/usr/local/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/eap: tls_min_version = "1.2"
/usr/local/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/eap: tls_max_version = "1.2"

ok, failed on android 9, because it was either a certificate from an empty list or no verification (which worked)
probably you have to install the CA somehow to make it available for selection (the use system ca's and domain selection is not present)

also non english error messages are even shittier than english ones

covacat: CA shouldn't be relevant on the server side if you don't intend to verify client certificates. Of course it's important to have the full chain, but I checked what I got from letsencrypt, it contains the whole chain and local verification works correctly. What I found is that you should set auto_chain = no to disable any magic constructing the chain, which I did, but doesn't help either. I also have the same TLS version settings. Right now, I think it's my phone's fault – will test with other devices soon.

But:
ok, failed on android 9, because it was either a certificate from an empty list or no verification (which worked)
probably you have to install the CA somehow to make it available for selection (the use system ca's and domain selection is not present)
This tells me the whole idea to use letsencrypt doesn't help me after all for the problem with the older phone. So, will probably just switch back to my own CA for PEAP then…

its not relevant for veryfing but you still serve the chain for client veification (like for apache ssl) clients may not know the intermediary CAs from their built in/os provided list but know the root one and then trust your cert

letsencrypt works well for imap ssl and ike (better than self signed)

its not relevant for veryfing but you still serve the chain for client veification (like for apache ssl) clients may not know the intermediary CAs from their built in/os provided list but know the root one and then trust your cert
Yes, but I checked the cert file obtained from letsencrypt, it contains the whole chain in the correct order, so that is not the problem ;) I guess the problem is shitty android phones :rolleyes:

Back