Questions about freebsd-update

I am still relatively new to FreeBSD so I hope this is not a dumb question. I was running 10.2-RELEASE-p9 and after running freebsd-update fetch I was told that I can upgrade to 10.2-RELEASE-p12. However if I run the upgrade I encounter problems.

Code:
# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files will be updated as part of updating to 10.2-RELEASE-p12:
/boot/kernel/kernel
# freebsd-update -r 10.2-RELEASE-p12 upgrade
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update4.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/src world/base world/doc world/games world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE-p12 from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE-p12 from update6.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE-p12 from update5.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE-p12 from update3.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

I have been having this problem for a while now and after doing some reading I figured maybe I should make sure I have a proper GENERIC kernel to be upgraded. I updated the source and recompiled the kernel from the instructions in the handbook. After doing this I still receive the same error. I finally was able to get it to install by running freebsd-update install and it booted into the new p12 kernel. Just to check I tried running another freebsd-update fetch and it said I still had updates. This time when I install and reboot I am back into the 10.2-RELEASE-p9 kernel.

Code:
# freebsd-version -k -u
10.2-RELEASE-p9
10.2-RELEASE-p12

To check if I was loading the correct kernel I did this.

Code:
find /boot | xargs grep 10.2-RELEASE-p12
Binary file /boot/kernel.old/kernel matches

Ok, so I figured I didn't load the correct kernel. I rebooted into the new kernel and confirmed this.

Code:
# freebsd-version -k -u
10.2-RELEASE-p12
10.2-RELEASE-p12

Running freebsd-update fetch again shows updates and if it is ran successfully I am right back where I started at p9. What exactly am I doing wrong and why does it keep downgrading to p9 after I am at p12? Also is using the freebsd-update upgrade -r the correct way to do this? I have upgraded PCBSD systems in the past using this method and it usually worked. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

No, freebsd-update -r <version> upgrade is for upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2 for example. You use it to upgrade from one version to another. You need a freebsd-update fetch followed by freebsd-update install. Or in one go freebsd-update fetch install.

Back