question to migrate from linux to bsd

Hallo,I'm testing freebsd since few days and ask myself if is there a way to install on a linuxbox with (/,/swap,/home) not deleting my data in /home
I'm using archlinux at the moment

Hower,it is not clear to me comparing /home in linux and /home in bsd
I see that bsd autoslicing allocate the most size to /usr so I believe this is the partition where personal data will be store?

What happen if I have to reinstall and keep my /home in bsd?

I overread the wiki but not much clear to me..
Thank you
Ema

you may be able to share swap.

you won't be able to share / because it is a different OS and the hier is different as well as file system and programs (bsd core is different than gnu core)

I would suggest backing up /home before attempting to explore bsd with different linux type of file systems.

Swap is easy. You just need to mod linux's startup scripts so that mkswap is called before activating swap.

@emamarro

FreeBSD needs just ONE primary partition, everything can be setup there without touching other partirions.

I highly suggest not using a shared /home though because you'll run into issues if you use the same application between FreeBSD and Linux, they happen to read/write to the same files and don't have a common language; for example, the XFCE4 version isn't equivalent between FreeBSD and Linux distributions (if it was I would be surprised as `our' coordination :)..), so you'll run into an issue with settings, paths, etc.

Thanks for replies,basically what I would like to do is back-up my /home reisefers on a usb disk and copy it on a new pc with a dedicate hd to freebsd as only OS.
I am wondering if this can work being different filesystem..
ciao
em

Yes, you can to a large extent (you'll have better luck with ext2/ext3), but just beware of shared configuration / metadata files between FreeBSD and your Linux distro.

Back