jails Question about configuring a docker image to jails.

Hello!

I am currently working on a project in python and i need to have a virtual environment from miniconda. Since there is no miniconda in freebsd i tried to install some packages that were listed onthe dependencies on my own at virtualenv.

Well, long story short there are some packages probably incomplete that are innstalled by pip but missing some of their own dependencies(eg coverage is missing _sqlite3 and i cannot install any other variations of that via pip so i am guessing this is a platform issue). I heard that i can do pretty much the same with docker, run it with a linux image, install whatever i need to there and work from there(i am guessing that docker is something like a virtual machine but closer to the os virtualisation?).

I read that there is an issue with docker for FreeBSD and there is a native alternative called jails. My question is, is there a way to "bind" somehow a docker image that already exists in Jails?

And, it is worth moving to jails? Docker might be more popular but since there is a native solution on FreeBSD I assume it is optimised and has a mature ecosystem.

Thanks for your time!

My question is, is there a way to "bind" somehow a docker image that already exists in Jails?
Docker images are always Linux based images. So you can't just run a docker image as a jail. Docker and jails are somewhat similar in the way they work but that's about as close as the comparison can be made.

And, it is worth moving to jails?
If you have problems with certain python modules on FreeBSD you're going to have the exact same problems with FreeBSD running in a jail. That said, you can run a rudimentary Linux in a FreeBSD jail by using the Linux compatibility layer. That will allow you to run some Linux binaries. It usually works but it's not 100% compatible.

SirDice thanks for your response.

I already have loaded the linux binary compatibility module in the kernel and i am getting this problem. I am assuming that, if it didnt work on the "base system" that I am currently running, it will not work(this is my guess).

SInce the package for docker is broken, i was thinking to either run a virtual box instance and then run the docker instance there or see if there are any other alternatives for virtualisation in the OS level and try to "port" the docker image to them.

It feels kind of weird since FreeBSD sounds the best solution for a server and cannot support docker, maybe the broken package might be fixed in the near future.

cannot support docker
Docker leans heavily on specific Linux features. FreeBSD may have similar features but they are implemented differently. The Linux compatibility layer works to a certain extend but as I said, it's not 100% compatible.
maybe the broken package might be fixed in the near future.
Maybe, maybe not. Can't tell. As long as it's broken it's more likely the port and package are going to be removed.

Back