Solved Qt resource overflow. Highly annoying. How to fix?

Am I the only one who regularly experiences this annoying phenomenon?

When there are a few application windows open, one eventually reaches a point where Qt applications begin to show empty windows and menus, making working with Qt apps impossible.
arrrf.png

It is the same as with old Windows, when the GDI ran out of resources. With Windows 4, Microsoft fixed this by granting every app a separate 64kb GDI resource pool instead of having all apps share the same 64Kb GDI pool.

Atm there are only 67 windows open and this nuisance again begins...
(Of these are Qt: 21 Konsole, 1 K3b, 1 Dolphin, 4 Ark, 1 Kate, 7 Okular, 1 KWrite)
pages.png

Is there a way to increase the Qt resource buffer size?

I run KDE 5, so I tend to use a few QT applications (mostly QT5). Despite mostly running a few weeks without logging out or rebooting, I don't remember seeing this. Then again, my taskbar is mostly tidy, so I may just not run enough GUI applications in parallel to provoke this phenomenon.

... so I may just not run enough GUI applications in parallel to provoke this phenomenon.
Yes, the phenomenon practically never happens with less than about 20-30 Qt windows open.
This session the phenomenon started when 36 Qt windows were open.

OT:
I'm not sure I've ever had 67 windows open at the same time.
It's just a side effect of using FVWM.
With taskbar-based DMs it's impossible to keep oversight with more than, say, about a dozen windows. With FVWM pager I order my desktop like a real physical desktop, making it easy to group tasks at a particular region. So I can keep order easily and change between apps with minimum clicks.

Changing screens is as easy as moving mouse over the screen border, windows get focus by moving the mouse pointer over it, and they auto-raise also. Thus I do need very few clicks (if at all) to switch between apps. Alternatively, accessing a particular program is as easy as clicking the window/screen on the pager.

Not having to deal with an annoying and confusing taskbar enables one to easily handle far more windows. This powerful approach in turn can fundamentally change work behavior.

A normal desktop is like having a pile of papers on your lap, always one at the top and all others obscured. When you want to switch to another window, you have to browse that pile, find the new window and bring it to top.
With FVWM, it is more like working on a desk sized 10x5 ft. With this you do not need to stack things, but can place everything nicely side-by-side and can access everything directly. So it becomes perfectly easy to handle more than 100 windows.

This way it becomes easy to have several projects open at the desktop, without things getting messy.
The memory footprint, currently 78MB, is very small, too. This is why I use FVWM, even though most apps I use are Qt or Gtk based.

Just in case somebody else gets this problem, setting QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1 seems to fix that issue.

Where do I set this? I'm sure others would like to know as well.

I've had blank windows in KDE for years now and restarting plasma-desktop used to do the trick, but the problem is so bad in KDE5 that it's unusable. After eleven years of using KDE it would be a shame if I had to change to something else just because KDE has gotten worse instead of better.

Back