qemu QEMU guest-agent

Colleagues, I have a question about QEMU guest-agent on the FreeBSD platform.

There is some virtual server running under KVM with the FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-amd64.qcow2.xz image installed. Unfortunately, I have worked very little with virtualization systems and my practical experience as an administrator in this area is not great.

To my question about how I can receive a signal about the need to park the virtual server in order to stop the operating system and applications normally, I received from KVM admins an answer that boils down to the fact that it is necessary to install and run the QEMU guest agent.

I discovered that there was a QEMU guest agent in the FreeBSD ports some time ago, but then, for some reason, it was removed.

Please tell me where can I get this QEMU guest agent. Let me remind you that my task is to correctly shutdown the virtual server when the parent hypervisor is stopped or rebooted.

Ogogon.

There is: emulators/qemu-guest-agent.
Yes, it will properly shutdown VM when host is going down (I'm using it in proxmox setup which is qemu in backend).
I believe, colleague, that you inattentively read my message. Here is what is written on the page you mentioned:
No installation instructions:
This port has been deleted.
If this port were available, I not distract the community with unnecessary questions.

How does QEMU send a shutdown to its VMs? If it sends an ACPI poweroff then FreeBSD would do a 'graceful' shutdown. Similar to how a soft-power button press works. Don't need an agent for that.

I can understand the confusion here. I honestly had to check myself. The port emulators/qemu-guest-agent has indeed been removed. The 'main' port; emulators/qemu can build different incarnations of itself, the so-called 'flavors'. It has a 'flavor' named guestagent, this builds a package named qemu-guest-agent. Just pkg install qemu-guest-agent to install it.

Code:
FLAVORS=			default nox11 tools guestagent
{...}
guestagent_PKGNAMESUFFIX=		-guest-agent

I too believe that the 'power' signal will be enough. The main thing is that that KVM should be able to send a such signal to the guest OS... (I got the impression that I frightened the admins there with such questions. They conferred for more than a day, and then some new person, whom I had not seen before, answered me.)

The 'main' port; emulators/qemu can build different incarnations of itself, the so-called 'flavors'. It has a 'flavor' named guestagent, this builds a package named qemu-guest-agent.
Thank you. It is very interesting.
And what needs to be done so that the main port creates this nested port, by the name of the "flavor"?

As indicated in the link I shared (emulators link, freshport last update) it has been merged to main product.

Code:
# pkg info qemu-guest-agent
qemu-guest-agent-7.2.0_3
Name           : qemu-guest-agent
Version        : 7.2.0_3
Installed on   : Wed May 31 22:28:12 2023 CEST
you can see install date is way after port was marked as removed.

I did read your post with comprehension.

You don't even need to touch ports,pkg install qemu-guest-agent is sufficient.

Host and guest do communicate to each other.

I did read your post with comprehension.
"Happiness is when you are understood!"

You don't even need to touch ports,pkg install qemu-guest-agent is sufficient.
What if I still wanted to touch? What do I need to do?

Host and guest do communicate to each other.
Life has taught me that it's always better than having them shoot each other in long, well-aimed bursts.

Back