Python PIP installer

I tried out an Web Control Panel the other day that had decent instructions for setup. It did use the Python pip installer. Is this bad? Does pip work with pkgng or are these rouge softwares now on the system? It was just a test machine so no big deal. I just wonder the integration between pip and pkg if any.

So in addition to the questionable repositories used for downloading these programs they are also a security risk because the packaging system does not recognize them. Is that a fair statement? Can a port be built for programs using pip installs?

So in addition to the questionable repositories used for downloading these programs they are also a security risk because the packaging system does not recognize them. Is that a fair statement?
I'd say that's a fair statement because you can't track versions using either pkg-version(8) or pkg-audit(8).

Can a port be built for programs using pip installs?
Not sure about direct PIP installs, but the framework does allow the use of Python's distutils (setup.py).

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-python.html

I tried out an Web Control Panel the other day that had decent instructions for setup. It did use the Python pip installer. Is this bad? Does pip work with pkgng or are these rouge softwares now on the system? It was just a test machine so no big deal. I just wonder the integration between pip and pkg if any.
You should use host pkg management system to install appropriate Python version 2.7.14 or 3.6.2. (they should be able to coexist) py27-virtualenv or py36-virtualenv and py27-pip or py36-pip. The rest of the stack could be added by pip and you can adjust installation path so that no root privileges are needed. I am not sure how well pip works on FreeBSD. On Red Hat works rock solid. It is not integrated with yum. On OpenBSD it is useful for simple things. However one could not install numpy or scipy using pip on OpenBSD. Simply put pip expects you to run Linux.

Back