PVS-Studio says FreeBSD kernel has bugs

This again? Anyone who has used code analysis tools for real know that they throw a whole bunch of false positives that you have to go through and mark them as such. Code analysis tools can do only heuristic analysis and are very limited in tracking down problems that occur in deep recursion and other complex algorithmic constructs.

The PVS people offered to share their report with us, and it has been under developer-only review for a few days. As kpa points out, static analysis can give a lot of false positives, and many have been identified. But some actual bugs have also been found and fixed. The review will be made public, probably today, so that everyone can have a look.

FreeBSD has used and continues to use some static analysis tools. I know there was some agreement with Coverity, but don't know the details.

Ok, I took the time to read the article and it seems to be genuine and well researched and not the typical "FreeBSD sucks" FUD you tend to come across.

But some actual bugs have also been found and fixed.
Given the aggravation of dealing with false positives notwithstanding, getting bugs taken care of would put the cost-to-benefit ratio of doing this type of code scan as generally a good thing, eh?

Ok, I took the time to read the article and it seems to be genuine and well researched and not the typical "FreeBSD sucks" FUD you tend to come across.
Your killing me kpa. I actually thought to myself 'surely he read the article before posting'.

:D

Back