Prove your innocence

In order to do business with the government armed forces, Kaspersky, a Russian company, has to show they have no malicious code. What's the problem with that? I would expect it.

Russia has been making the same requests of private companies recently.

Russia has been accused of numerous cyberattacks lately

In order to do business with the government armed forces, Kaspersky, a Russian company, has to show they have no malicious code. What's the problem with that? I would expect it.
If you have a time you should find still about hacking Mr. Macron email during presidential elections in France(now is president of France)... Search in foreign newspapers

I don't trust anything hosted out of Russia for the time being. I suspect someone will ask me, why am I here? because sourcecode can come from anywhere. I know that a lot of companies and people in Russia are innocent, however, the Kremlin will infect software within their borders quickly, without countermeasures.

In the last 5, or even 20 years, the Russian government has done more to hack and destabilize many governments, to try to impose the most ruthless authority figures.

Does anyone really think the Security Apparatus would keep mum if they thought Kaspersky was slipping stuff by..
This is just a cold war shakedown. Like expelling the diplomats.

What's ironic is that our security services hoard zero day exploits and now they want to see the code of a security scanner.

That's not really ironic, nor is it hypocritical. The rationale for hoarding the exploits was to use them in situations where national security might be maintained by doing so. The concern was that (a) they may not limit themselves to using the exploits against foreign powers that seek to do harm to the U.S. government, and use them against civilians as well; and (b) that by keeping the exploits secret they keep open the window of opportunity for malicious hackers to find the exploits and use them themselves.

This instance is a separate issue: if you're a state actor, and you already know that actors of a foreign state possibly intend harm to your own state, then vetting software coming from within that state's jurisdiction is just the smart thing to do from your own perspective. And if your actual, clearly defined role as a state actor is to ensure that foreign powers don't cause your state any harm, then vetting that software is basically your entire job.

It's perfectly clear why the Russian and U.S. governments should not be expected to trust each other. It's a shame that private enterprises have gotten (and will continue to get) caught up in this, but the only way not to get caught up in it is for both American and Russian business interests to avoid doing business with each other or each other's governing states until each state is satisfied that the Russian and American private sectors aren't being exploited by their respective states for nefarious purposes. What that will take and how long is an open question, and if the incentive for a company to do business with a foreign government is greater than the incentive to keep governments from interfering in how the business is run, it might not happen at all.

This instance is a separate issue: if you're a state actor, and you already know that actors of a foreign state possibly intend harm to your own state, then vetting software coming from within that state's jurisdiction is just the smart thing to do from your own perspective. And if your actual, clearly defined role as a state actor is to ensure that foreign powers don't cause your state any harm, then vetting that software is basically your entire job.

No doubt. But ... was the military using this software (maybe for a long time) BEFORE this vetting request? Scary if true.

Such a request by a military would not be any kind of slight against the maker of the software. It would just be expected SOP IMO. While external influence is not asserted in these cases, the context of the military simply demands zero tolerance on code. Or so I would expect. Someone mentioned (I don't see the post now) - that this was done with the same software in 2006. Staying with the software is actually praise and acclaim for the maker, not a slight. But there is (well, should be) zero tolerance in that context.

Last edited:
Indeed, and the same goes for US software like MS-Windows. I see no reason not to block such usage for Government use until this is done. However, I think the problem is that there is no real intent to accept actual evidence one way or the other. /2¢

I collect Soviet Era Russian watches and most of my collection comes directly from people in Russia through ebay. I got to know one guy particularly well as I did most of my business through him and would consider him a friend of sorts. He always did me right on all our transactions. His father was a watchmaker of over 30 years and always inspected my watches free of charge before they were shipped.

My interest carried over to researching the history of Russian watches and got to learn a lot about their history and culture in the process. That led to a interest in Russian Cinema and I own multiple titles.

I got to know a lot of Russian people through the process and just as in any other population there are people of every kind. Overall. IMO, they are a tough resilient people as a group.

Politics and religion, for me, are two topics I've learned best not talked about online so I won't comment further. Only to say I hope we never go to war with them because we would have a real fight on our hands that nobody would be the better for in the end.

It seems mass produced housing didn't make russian a lot fo nice big house owning guys......
Soviet Era watches is one thing, but this is sounding a bit bizarre to me. :) Care to explain why this should be posted here?

I guess Kaspersky is Russian, and he owns a Russian watch?

Funnily, just read an article about Putin - and his personal preferences. He wears a Swiss watch that is about as expensive as my house. You should mail him some of that Russian watch history, so he can get with the buy local campaign.

Edit: new search tells me only his cheapest watch could be bought for the value of my hut. Which country do you want to be president of, relative to the perks?

I guess Kaspersky is Russian, and he owns a Russian watch?

90 Russian watches to be exact, 10 of them pocket watches. Not to mention 10 G-Shocks and a Seiko Orange Monster.

I'd post pix but I'm already off-topic. :p

A little paranoia can be a good thing but you have to know when to reel yourself in. I think that is a bit much and this closer to the mark:

...Jake Williams, an ex-NSA employee who has called the U.S. government’s efforts against Kaspersky “purely political.”

Now Kaspersky has a free version:

KL AV for Free. Secure the Whole World Will Be.

My W520 came with Win10Pro and I tried out the free version before resigning that HDD to a box. It worked as well as any other AV I tried in that short period and if they backdoored me I missed it.

Vault7 docs are more disconcerting IMO.

Edit: From the article you linked to:

The firms the FBI have briefed include those that deal with nuclear power, a predictable target given the way the electric grid is increasingly at the center of catastrophic cybersecurity concern.

If they are that concerned with cybersecurity why are they using Windows to begin with? Might I suggest an OS we're all familiar with that doesn't require an AV program?

I heard soviets have superior rocket engine technology. Nginx seems to work nicely too thats russia yeah? They don't seem to have a chip like china loongson no? I wonder when an economy will simply mass produce concrete real esate apartments until they are by far no1 in world? I mean making huge apartments plentiful would make standard of living no1 in short time.....I mean huge aparmetnwith jaczzi tub n nice big kitchen retec.. The whole forced scarcity bs pisses me off........finance buggers........

I heard soviets have superior rocket engine technology. Nginx seems to work nicely too thats russia yeah? They don't seem to have a chip like china loongson no? I wonder when an economy will simply mass produce concrete real esate apartments until they are by far no1 in world? I mean making huge apartments plentiful would make standard of living no1 in short time.....I mean huge aparmetnwith jaczzi tub n nice big kitchen retec.. The whole forced scarcity bs pisses me off........finance buggers........

Apparently Elon thinks so too. He (apparently, according to random internet lore) bought a Russian ICBM (sans nukes) some time ago, to study it. I guess some of that could have made it into space-x.

Back