Solved Proper way of installing Nvidia 465.27 driver

there was no "work" folder after make clean command. did pkg clean too just in case, logged in after reboot as root without doing any "startx"

same thing... does not work for me. and I am not sure how to interpret that saved .c.rej file to get a clue

sorry what do you mean by that question? I just happen to have /usr/ports, it was already there.. no?
basically I did mark "ports" checkmark in installer during FreeBSD13.0 install.

is there something I am supposed to do?

(btw running "git status" inside /usr/ports failed since it wasnt git repository)

If you get the port from the 13.0 release it is normal that it does not build. See freshports history of x11/nvidia-driver

Unbreak nVidia driver build against new feature branch 465.xx, which
now includes Vulkan driver for FreeBSD.

We do not offer short-lived/beta driver versions as a port or package,
but we try to support building against arbitrary DISTVERSIONs. Add a
note about it and sort Linux libraries' port pkg-plist while I'm here.

PR 254668

alright, some updates from me, here is what I did:

1)"portsnap fetch extract"
2)"portsnap fetch update"

then later I noticed that Makefile in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver changed back to version 460, so I again changed it to 465.27, then ran:
"make makesum"
"make install"
this time it seemed to build... no errors!

next I reboot, and login, and do my "startx" but I again have my 640x480 resolution.

so... where next should I look into?

Execute pkg info -D nvidia-driver, follow the instructions to enable the driver in /etc/rc.conf, create file /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "nvidia"
EndSection

I'll repeat what I said earlier. If you followed the Handbook you would never have needed to start this thread in the first place. Right now you're just wingin' it. Throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.

Ok, so why do you need this particular version of the driver ?
Did you follow the instruction given when installing the driver ?

To use these drivers, make sure that you have loaded the NVidia kernel
module, by running

# kldload nvidia (or nvidia-modeset, see below)

on the command line, or by putting ``nvidia'' (or ``nvidia-modeset'',
see below again) on ``kld_list'' variable in /etc/rc.conf, either manually
or by running

# sysrc kld_list+=nvidia

And finally what is your hardware ? ( Desktop, laptop, which graphics cards, is there an integrated graphics ? )

Ok, so why do you need this particular version of the driver ?
Did you follow the instruction given when installing the driver ?

And finally what is your hardware ? ( Desktop, laptop, which graphics cards, is there an integrated graphics ? )
desktop, 6 core 4GHz cpu, 16GB DDR4, no integrated graphics, RTX2080 Nvidia GPU

I did do: sysrc kld_list+=nvidia
and I did reboot

I'll repeat what I said earlier. If you followed the Handbook you would never have needed to start this thread in the first place. Right now you're just wingin' it. Throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.
does your handbook method gets me 465.27? apparently not, because pkg install method gets me version 460 driver. if that would be the case I'd just follow that and NOT create this thread.

the handbook is poorly maintained and lacks the critical information. i.e. it does not mention ports building with proper ports update procedure (what was given in this thread).

Can you post /var/log/xorg/Xorg.0.log

I think that you may need to add the pci id of your gpu in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

You can get the pci information with pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display (you can post it here also this could be usefull)

Also make sure that your user is in the video group.

had trouble posting that log file here (>25k characters)
my user IS part of video group already.

side note: my alacritty terminal went dead after this as well, using xterm now

I will try adding that pci id and report back

but also, there is no: nvidia.conf
in this folder: /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

and by the way, even though I did install xorg before, I do not see /etc/X11/xorg.conf either, isnt that kinda of wrong too?

By adding I was meaning creating it.

Xorg is not in base, so it should not install something under /etc (so that is normal that there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

Normally Xorg does not need any configuration, the default is to delete every xorg.conf file and let it autoconfigure itself.
In your case it seems to not work, so you need to give it some hint to what graphics card to use with which drivers.

For the log files, you can use something like pastebin or somethings else and post the link here.

here is output of PCI command:
vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0: class=0x030000 rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10de device=0x1e87 subvendor=0x1462 subdevice=0x3726
vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
device = 'TU104 [GeForce RTX 2080 Rev. A]'
class = display

and here is file I created then:
Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "pci0:1:0:0:"
EndSection

and now after above modification I could not even startx.
it says server terminated with error.

btw.. how was I supposed to paste PCI ID? did I do it right as you see above or not?

Yeah I kinda felt that too, anyway after putting: BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
and doing startx, I just see frozen cursor at center, and thats it.

Can you test with the version 460 (available with pkg), maybe there is a bug with the beta driver ?
Also having the /var/log/Xorg.0.log will help a lot

Back