Solved Proper way of installing Nvidia 465.27 driver

device = 'TU104 [GeForce RTX 2080 Rev. A]'
Support for this card was added in the 430.34 version of the driver. In other words, just pkg delete whatever nvidia driver you installed and pkg install nvidia-driver (rather than build from ports). In general just do a pkg install for most everything unless you know for sure the prebuilt packages don't serve your needs or there isn't a prebuilt pkg, or you want to learn how ports work.

You should do sysrc kld_list+=nvidia-modeset, *not* sysrc kld_list+=nvidia -- this is something a lot of people have tripped over.

tried doing "pkg remove xf86-video-nv" it said "No pckages matched for pattern 'xf86-video-nv'

Yeah I kinda felt that too, anyway after putting: BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
and doing startx, I just see frozen cursor at center, and thats it.
Are the logs that you linked the one after the frozen cursor ?

As bsduck suggested, using nvidia-xconfig should help

OK, so here is what I did. cleared all previous logs. to make sure to catch right one.
then I did "nvidia-xconfig" it did create the config file.

then reboot, and upon startx, frozen cursor (previous log was for a case when i still loaded into my window manager just in old resolution...not 4K), so this time, after running nvidia-xconfig and after file is created, when I load, i just get dead frozen cursor. and below is log for that:

does your handbook method gets me 465.27? apparently not, because pkg install method gets me version 460 driver. if that would be the case I'd just follow that and NOT create this thread.

the handbook is poorly maintained and lacks the critical information. i.e. it does not mention ports building with proper ports update procedure (what was given in this thread).
"My" Handbook would have answered all the questions you are now fumbling around with here. If you think it is as bad as you claim, then I state now that you will either continue to fumble around till you give up or eventually learn to follow the Handbook as a Bible instead and quit getting your education from random comments on the internet.

"My" Handbook would have answered all the questions you are now fumbling around with here. If you think it is as bad as you claim, then I state now that you will either continue to fumble around till you give up or eventually learn to follow the Handbook as a Bible instead and quit getting your education from random comments on the internet.
point me to a text line in the handbook where it tells in details how to build from ports latest Nvidia driver.

monwarez:
as you can see from my latest log, it indeed seems that Nvidia 465 is being loaded.. but for some reason its stuck. and I get frozen screen. I guess some improvement at least after running "nvidia-xconfig" and installing "nvidia-settings"

r2com Show me where you started to learn how to install the nvidia driver from ports or packages from the very beginning and not by first downloading from nvidia. I repeat! All your questions here would have been answered if you followed the Handbook instead. End of discussion for me.

r2com Show me where you started to learn how to install the nvidia driver from ports or packages from the very beginning and not by first downloading from nvidia. I repeat! All your questions here would have been answered if you followed the Handbook instead. End of discussion for me.
guess what, I'll just show you how I solved it:

1) I found this thread

2) then I did remove nvidia_load="YES" from /boot.loader.conf (just as author of that post)

3) then I did: sysrc kld_list+="nvidia-modeset"

4) then I did "nvidia-xconfig" again and rebooted, after reboot and login as user in console, I did startx and loaded in proper 4K screen.

Oh and I also tried following *helpful* members: thanks to monwarez, bsduck, T-Daemon, bakul

marking it as "solved" for now.

I am open to any other comments regarding settings, or improvement of this flow or anything what could help making right decision next time or for another machine
p.s. and of course i still will refer to handbook and look at it as long as it has necessary info, but unfortunately its not always the case and external help is required, especially for newcomers

For future reference (so that someone that search hangs when starting X11 will most likely found this threads), there is an HOWTO from 2015 (last edited 2018) that still apply to the nvidia driver

By looking at xorg logs, you have to use nvidia-modeset because you get this (and also because the display hang)
[ 86.632] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
[ 86.632] (II) NVIDIA(0): "NULL"
According to the pkg-messages from the nvidia driver
Starting with version 358.09, some important functionality of the driver
has been broken out into a separate kernel module, nvidia-modeset.ko.
Users that experience hangs when starting X11 server, or observe

(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "NULL"

in /var/log/Xorg.0.log should replace ``nvidia'' with ``nvidia-modeset''
Loading non essential driver with /boot/loader.conf is discouraged but sadly it is not documented. The pkg-message
still says that we can use /boot/loader.conf or /etc/rc.conf to load the driver.

Back