Prompt confirmation y/n to move a file...

I just did
Code:
  scp -r -C directory   192.168.25.100:/bsddrive
, this did not ask for a confirmation prompt when overwritting distant.

Thus to be coherent mv and cp should work the same, without forcing option.

scp is very useful, because things just work without worrying about permissions or whatever popups, warning and rings.

I suggest you ask Tatu Ylönen why there's a difference. He's the one that wrote the original SSH code from which OpenSSH was forked.

I suggest you ask Tatu Ylönen why there's a difference. He's the one that wrote the original SSH code from which OpenSSH was forked.

maybe interesting to have his opinion indeed.

scp and ssh is good to overwrite to bring more reliable data file transfert.
The point would maybe to look why BSD has 'y' prompt using cp and mv for base system.

Actually, originally Unix was written with cp and mv and they had no confirmation prompt. The code of Unix v.5 of cp is very simple, readily would erase whatever and destroy the machine if bad command line.

In all cases, it is better to use a reliable cp and mv, rather than using rsync, if simple cp / mv is needed, for easy and not much demanding copy/move.

The situation when the target already exists is a special case. It may not be possible to overwrite it without causing a crash – why don't you want to accept this fact?

For your ideal world; Plan 9 really could be what you want.

The original designers only made one critical mistake through its whole development; they overestimated the importance of a mouse!
You do not need a mouse - me neither. We just need a good gamer keyboard for nice clics -

I need Unix v.5 or an early BSD release - simple and powerful enough for CLI.
The crap is PDFLATEX that is so huge and not compilable on early BSD versions.

FreeBSD is awesome - thank you guys for your efforts - it is great

The situation when the target already exists is a special case. It may not be possible to overwrite it without causing a crash – why don't you want to accept this fact?
there no risk of a crash - it is an utopy.
rm -rf is also a risk.

Back