ProFTPD crashes with "Alarm clock!"

Maybe an update to the existing bug report if its still open, in my case disabling PCRE didn't help. It is also still disabled in the final setup that is working in the test environment, so it may be part of the fix. I am running it in a jail with mod_sftp, pretty much everything else is disabled, its used to provide sftp on port 2222 for secure EDI using private/public key pairs.
I will be starting the 10.1-RELEASE-p4 updates to my production environment today, need to get the base system updated, then begin on the jails next week to get this update in production for confirmation that it remains stable under load.
I can then go back and try converting my test jail to a full machine, to see if as others stated the issue is only present in a jail. It unfortunately will be at least another week out until I have time to do it though.

You could also disable pthreads in proftpd only. Just add
Code:
LDFLAGS+=             -pthread
into your ftp/proftpd Makefile an rebuild it with portmaster.
Worked for me and I can confirm this happened here in a jail, too.

For me and most other users here, you need to recompile ProFTPD without PCRE support.
So:
cd /usr/ports/ftp/proftpd
make config
Deselect PCRE
make deinstall
make reinstall

That fixed it for me on 4 servers running a mix of 9.x and 10.x
Also don't forget so modify /etc/make.conf accordingly if you have set options for ports there (as I use to).
Code:
ftp_proftpd_SET=HTMLDOCS LDAP LDAP_TLS DEFLATE
ftp_proftpd_UNSET=PCRE
Otherwise I can confirm the same for a
  • 10.0-RELEASE-p12 as well as for a
  • 10.1-RELEASE
with latest proFTPd from ports. Disabling PCRE worked.

Best Regards

Hmm, after I've recompiled the kernel of my FreeBSD-10.0 systems, it seems that those also have this issue.

FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p16*

Back