Solved Problems with Radeon

Greetings all,

I have found that my device is RS780 Radeon 3000, which according to Wiki page is allegedly supported "Post 11.2 use "radeonkms" kernel module via drm-kmod port. I have installed the port, added a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-radeon.conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "radeon"
EndSection

and
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
into /etc/rc.conf

and was rewarded by:

Code:
Could not open module "radeon" (module does not exist 0).

So, I am wondering what is the solution?

Kindest regards,

M

Hi Zirias,

thank you very much, this was the solution.

Out of curiosity - how do you know that? I reviewed both the handbook Chapter 5, and Wiki, and I still cannot find this information. Is it somewhere else?

Kindest regards,

M

I honestly didn't look in the handbook for THAT. Xorg is (was?) used on Linux as well and I've been used for years to distributions that package drivers separately, so, of course you had to install some package for using a specific driver…

But then, the handbook gives instructions for installing Xorg from ports. x11-drivers/xorg-drivers has a build option for every driver that sets it as a dependency when selected, so if you follow the handbook, you will get an options dialog where you can select e.g. the radeon driver for install. Maybe that's the reason it isn't specifically mentioned. Maybe this should be changed in the handbook.

Hi Zirias,

yes, but people who build only what is necessary have problems, like I had.

Hi Alexander8822,

could you please expand your answer?

Kindest regards,

M

Hi Alexander8822,

could you please expand your answer?

Kindest regards,

M

Sure.

Xorg comes with a modesetting driver that supports KMS video devices out of the box (Devices that are using drm-kmod).

For normal users this should be sufficient, even though it is written that this is a "non-accelerated driver" i could not see a big difference in performance.

For advanced users could only be a problem that, for example, a feature such as FreeSync is missing, there must then AMD users use xf86-video-amdgpu so that one can use eg FreeSync. But I have also seen somewhere that they are also already in the process of bringing this into modesetting.

Should you have a feeling of discomfort, you can just go a head install quietly the xorg driver that was fits with your card (xorg-video -intel, -ati -amdgpu).

Hi Alexander8822,

thank you. However, if I understand correctly, and I may not, the *-whatever, driver should not be necessary if one does not need acceleration. If that is correct, why the xorg server complained that it cold not find the redeon driver?

Kindest regards,

M

Hi Alexander8822,

thank you. However, if I understand correctly, and I may not, the *-whatever, driver should not be necessary if one does not need acceleration. If that is correct, why the xorg server complained that it cold not find the redeon driver?

Kindest regards,

M

Because you specifically told xorg to load the radeon module without installing the module by using Driver "radeon" in your xorg configuartion. If you remove your created xorg configuartion and the xf86-video-ati driver it will automatically try to load the modesetting driver.

The Xorg driver "radeon" is in x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati.
graphics/drm-kmod only has the kernel(!) driver radeonkms.ko. You need both.
So with Terascale cards, one needs radeonkms + xf86-video-ati??
Do you know which driver/driver combo to use with pre-Terascale ATI cards (mainly R100-R500)?

(Sorry for asking, I am still at loss which is the correct combination with older ATI/AMD cards. I'd be grateful for any enlightenment...)

For advanced users could only be a problem that, for example, a feature such as FreeSync is missing, there must then AMD users use xf86-video-amdgpu so that one can use eg FreeSync. But I have also seen somewhere that they are also already in the process of bringing this into modesetting.
From looking at the sources, I do not have the impression that the amdgpu driver supports Terascale and older cards, like the OP's card, so I would not be surprised if this doesn't work.
Did you actually try that, so it can be considered verified to work?

From looking at the sources, I do not have the impression that the amdgpu driver supports Terascale and older cards, like the OP's card, so I would not be surprised if this doesn't work.
Did you actually try that, so it can be considered verified to work?

That was just an example :)

Hi everyone,
I too am having problem with Radeon HD 3450/3470 on my thinkpad T400.
pkg install drm-kmod
in /etc/rc.conf
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ is empty
During reboot, system stops at
"
[drm] UVD initialized successfully.
[drm] ib test on ring 0 succeeded in 0 usecs
[drm] ib test on ring 5 succeeded
[drm] Connector DVI-I-1: get mode from tunables:
[drm] - kern.vt.fb.modes.DVI-I-1
[drm] - kern.vt.fb.default_mode
[drm] Connector LVDS-1: get mode from tunables:
[drm] - kern.vt.fb.modes.LVDS-1
[drm] Connector VGA-1: get mode from tunables:
[drm] - kern.vt.fb.modes.VGA-1
[drm] radeon atom DIG backlight initialized
[drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[drm] Connector 0:
[drm] DVI-I-1
[drm] HPD3
[drm] DDC: 0x7e60 0x7e60 0x7e64 0x7e64 0x7e68 0x7e68 0x7e6c 0x7e6c
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] DFP1: INTERNAL_UNIPHY
[drm] Connector 1:
[drm] LVDS-1
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] LCD1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_LVTMA
[drm] Connector 2:
[drm] VGA-1
[drm] DDC: 0x7e20 0x7e20 0x7e24 0x7e24 0x7e28 0x7e28 0x7e2c 0x7e2c
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] CRT1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1
"
I have to login via ssh, comment out the added kld_list.
Any clue?

mefizto , sorry for chiming in and asking others things. Didn't intend to confuse you.
The reason why I asked Zirias and Alexander88207 is that I am still not fully sure about the purpose of each of the AMD/ATI related drivers.

When looking thru all possible data and sources trying to find out how to correctly autodetect AMD/ATI cards and associate them to drivers, I was unable to exactly determine the purpose of the xf86-video-ati driver package.
But what Zirias wrote could explain it as a complement driver to be used in conjunction with radeonkms.

Thank you for pointing me at the wiki!
I have studied it a while ago, and from looking at the sources, my impression is that it might have serious misleading information.

To be more precise:
The xf86-video-ati driver is written to support the models with Terascale architecture (like your chip), and the amdgpu supports the later GCN/RDNA architectures.
The Wiki says that all models after Radeon HD7000 should be used with the amdgpu driver.
But that seems incorrect to me, as my research shows that all models below HD7700 are Terascale, except two mobile chips (HD7000M and HD7400M) that use the new, still AMD-supported GCN core.

As there is no response when asking the maintainers for clarification/correction, I doubt the wikis reliability and just ask people here in the forums who seem to have experience, like Zirias. Sorry again for causing confusion...

It's correct that the default "modesetting" driver provides "accelerated" rendering when a drm-kmod driver is loaded.
I can't tell you either what extra features you will get with the "radeon" driver. Before there was a generic modesetting driver, it was strictly required for *any* accelerated rendering.

Thank you Zirias, this makes sense, as it would explain why the xf86-video-ati driver is still in active development, even though the chips are no longer supported by AMD.
Maybe the radeonkms.ko is designed/intended to forward (at least) 3D stuff to the xf86-video-ati driver...

Any clue?
This chip is a Terascale chip.
So, if I understand correctly, the xf86-video-ati driver has to be installed to make radeonkms kernel module work (see above).
I'd appreciate if you could check this out and report back whether this solved the issue!

Maybe the radeonkms.ko is designed/intended to forward (at least) 3D stuff to the xf86-video-ati driver...
Most probably not, as 3d accel typically works with "just" the modesetting driver. Maybe video accel needs it? But that's just a guess, cause I really don't know. The radeon Xorg driver works with my chip, so I just installed and configured it, as it definitely doesn't hurt (AFAIK).

Sigh, is this difficult to grasp, as there is so much unclear information which is sometimes partly contradictory.
Just found another detailed info page, which might give clues: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
In particular it divides the information which component/driver is responsible for 2D and which ones for 3D!

Your help was very helpful gaining some more insight! Thank you again for your patience!

Hi everyone,
pkg install drm-kmod
in /etc/rc.conf
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ is empty
During reboot, system stops at
"
[drm] UVD initialized successfully.
[drm] ib test on ring 0 succeeded in 0 usecs
[drm] ib test on ring 5 succeeded
[drm] Connector DVI-I-1: get mode from tunables:
[drm] - kern.vt.fb.modes.DVI-I-1
[drm] Connector LVDS-1: get mode from tunables:
[drm] - kern.vt.fb.modes.LVDS-1
[drm] Connector VGA-1: get mode from tunables:
[drm] - kern.vt.fb.modes.VGA-1
[drm] radeon atom DIG backlight initialized
[drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[drm] Connector 0:
[drm] DVI-I-1
[drm] HPD3
[drm] DDC: 0x7e60 0x7e60 0x7e64 0x7e64 0x7e68 0x7e68 0x7e6c 0x7e6c
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] DFP1: INTERNAL_UNIPHY
[drm] Connector 1:
[drm] LVDS-1
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] LCD1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_LVTMA
[drm] Connector 2:
[drm] VGA-1
[drm] DDC: 0x7e20 0x7e20 0x7e24 0x7e24 0x7e28 0x7e28 0x7e2c 0x7e2c
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] CRT1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1
"
I have to login via ssh, comment out the added kld_list.
Any clue?

Hello bxbzq,

can we see the full log?

Hello bxbzq,

can we see the full log?
Yesterday I decided to try 13.0-RC1 and see if any luck.
I used port to install but i saw a lot of warnings during port installation and the laptop went down several times. There was one time I saw "temperature too high" message from ssh login screen. What the heck!
Will try something else and come back here.

Hello bxbzq,

can we see the full log?
Ok, continue on this topic.
This is what happened since last post.
port deinstall the xorg because the machine down during port installation.
pkg install xorg
edit /etc/rc.conf, add
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
port install drm-kmod
reboot, and i got dmesg as attached. I think the dmeg info is same as what I got when the machine had 12.2-release. Also the screen stopped at same step as with 12.2.
Then I installed the xf86-video-ati, reboot. Same behavior.

Attachments

• bootinfo.txt
    14.9 KB · Views: 182
With AMD you have to use a workaround[1] so that you can run a card with UEFI boot. If this is not applied then the picture stops during boot. Therefore, I first thought of a uefi boot error but I see that now too 😄

[1] >> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
1615385557265.png

Back