Problems with net/realtek-re-kmod and FreeBSD 14.0

Dear All,

Seems that net/realtek-re-kmod is not working under FreeBSD 14.0.

I have 2 network devices -

Code:
none0@pci0:2:0:0:       class=0x020000 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10ec device=0x8125 subvendor=0x10ec subdevice=0x0123
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
    device     = 'RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
re0@pci0:5:0:0: class=0x020000 rev=0x0c hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10ec device=0x8168 subvendor=0x1043 subdevice=0x8554
    device     = 'RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

When loading re driver, installed from ports, neither interfaces will work. Device is recognized, but no traffic goes through. When I load the driver from base, the device=0x8168 works as expected, but the device=0x8125 is not recognized.

In other words, I would like to get the 'RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller' working under FreeBSD 14.0, but have not managed to do so.

What might be the problem?
Any experiences? Any help available?

I do not see any help there. I do understand that RTL8125 is not supported by the base system. However the kernel module built from ports should support this device

net/realtek-re-kmod

Code:
Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / 5G Ethernet Family Controller
kernel driver.

This is the official driver from Realtek with a few patches to
improve stability and performance. It can be loaded instead of
the FreeBSD driver built into the GENERIC kernel if you experience
issues with it (eg. watchdog timeouts), or your card is not supported.

Supported devices:

* 5G Gigabit Ethernet
  - RTL8126

* 2.5G Gigabit Ethernet
  - RTL8125 / RTL8125B(G)

* 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet
  - RTL8111B / RTL8111C / RTL8111D / RTL8111E / RTL8111F / RTL8111G
    RTL8111H / RTL8118(A) / RTL8119i / RTL8111L / RTL8111K
  - RTL8168B / RTL8168E / RTL8168H
  - RTL8111DP / RTL8111EP(P) / RTL8111FP
  - RTL8411 / RTL8411B

* 10/100M Fast Ethernet
  - RTL8101E / RTL8102E / RTL8103E / RTL8105E / RTL8106E / RTL8107E
  - RTL8401 / RTL8402

There are no error messages, the driver is loaded and recognizes the device, but no traffic goes through. Also the driver from ports does not work with the other device - device=0x8168.

I am asking for help and experiences, not actually these hardware notes.

I have the same problem. 1.98 works fine, no traffic in 1.99 goes through. FreeBSD 13.2, Realtek 8125.

Is there a way to download the latest version in the 1.98 line from somewhere? I don't have it in the local cache.

Seems similar, but not exactly. My system does not hang, but simply no packets go through the interface. Anyhow, seems that this driver is buggy at the moment. Hope that I have just to wait.
...and you say that 1.98 is working for you. Still, if I understand correctly, there were other problems with 1.98.
I reported that bug and I think it maybe the same issue. My wording as non native speaker may have been not ideal. I meant the the network connection hangs, not the whole system (e.g. curl or ping „hangs“).

I have the same problem. 1.98 works fine, no traffic in 1.99 goes through. FreeBSD 13.2, Realtek 8125.

Is there a way to download the latest version in the 1.98 line from somewhere? I don't have it in the local cache.
You can check out an older ports tree version and compile it.
I would recommend to run make install-missing-packages from current ports tree for the Realtek driver before, in order to avoid installation of dependencies from the „old“ ports tree.
If it works you can pkg lock realtek-re-kmod so that it does not get overwritten during package updates.

I reported that bug and I think it maybe the same issue. My wording as non native speaker may have been not ideal. I meant the the network connection hangs, not the whole system (e.g. curl or ping „hangs“).
Good that the issue has been reported. So, there is no need to report again. Tested the 1.99 driver on another machine without Realtek device. Loading this driver into kernel also kills traffic on another network interface, not related to Realtek at all. So, it seems to be a serious driver bug.

Good that the issue has been reported. So, there is no need to report again. Tested the 1.99 driver on another machine without Realtek device. Loading this driver into kernel also kills traffic on another network interface, not related to Realtek at all. So, it seems to be a serious driver bug.
Maybe you want to add this information to the bugzilla bug?

What are the expectations of having this in the kernel? Is it a question of Realtek releasing the sources or somebody taking their time to add this to the kernel? It seems like OpenBSD has it.

What are the expectations of having this in the kernel? Is it a question of Realtek releasing the sources or somebody taking their time to add this to the kernel? It seems like OpenBSD has it.
This is a good question. Somebody has to take an initiative and commit to the next release...

I tried disabling LRO as suggested in Comment 4 of the bug report. I also disabled all the other hardware offloading features for good measure, and it seems to have restored network connectivity.

Code:
re0: <Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller> port 0xf000-0xf0ff mem 0xfce00000-0xfce0ffff,0xfce10000-0xfce13fff at device 0.0 on pci2
re0: Using Memory Mapping!
re0: Using 1 MSI-X message
re0: ASPM disabled
re0: version:1.99.04

re0@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x020000 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10ec device=0x8125 subvendor=0x1043 subdevice=0x87d7
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

I installed the binary package realtek-re-kmod-199.00_1 on 14.0-RELEASE-p4.

I tried disabling LRO as suggested in Comment 4 of the bug report. I also disabled all the other hardware offloading features for good measure, and it seems to have restored network connectivity.
Thanks! Will try this. See is this is LRO only or the other offload needs also be disabled.

Hi I am on 14. And it does work on my system. But to get it working you need to compile it yourself from ports. It is a kernel module. So it needs to mach exactly your version of the system.

Hi I am on 14. And it does work on my system. But to get it working you need to compile it yourself from ports. It is a kernel module. So it needs to mach exactly your version of the system.
Normally the packages for 14 should fit afaik... For v198 it is no problem installing the package, for v199 though at least the RTL8125 chip seems to have problems.
Which network device do you have?

Please share the results! Not only for us now, but for the future readers.
Did try it several ways and fiddled with the flags, but did not get it working. The latest setup was

Code:
# sysctl -a |grep "hw.re."
hw.realmem: 17179869184
hw.re.max_rx_mbuf_sz: 9216
hw.re.interrupt_mitigation: 1
hw.re.config_soc_lan: 0
hw.re.s0_magic_packet: 0
hw.re.s5wol: 0
hw.re.phy_mdix_mode: 2
hw.re.phy_power_saving: 0
hw.re.eee_enable: 0
hw.re.lro_mbufq_depth: 0
hw.re.lro_entry_count: 0
hw.re.prefer_iomap: 0
hw.re.msix_disable: 1
hw.re.msi_disable: 1

There is no specific LRO flag, other than these two hw.re.lro_mbufq_depth and hw.re.lro_mbufq_depth.

The original was

Code:
hw.realmem: 17179869184
hw.re.max_rx_mbuf_sz: 9216
hw.re.interrupt_mitigation: 1
hw.re.config_soc_lan: 0
hw.re.s0_magic_packet: 0
hw.re.s5wol: 0
hw.re.phy_mdix_mode: 2
hw.re.phy_power_saving: 1
hw.re.eee_enable: 0
hw.re.lro_mbufq_depth: 1024
hw.re.lro_entry_count: 128
hw.re.prefer_iomap: 0
hw.re.msix_disable: 0
hw.re.msi_disable: 1

Interesting that at some point few pings went through, but then it stopped. No messages.

Of course, I did that. I have a custom kernel and the original re is removed from it. I can load both drivers and this is OK.

I do not know the chip but it is 2.5GB on a Asus Z690 D4 Motherboard
You can get the chip from pciconf

Code:
pciconf -lv|grep 2.5G

... [some time later] This ugly hack did not help, but starting to disable all the offloads actually helped.

Now I am writing this letter through this driver. It is working!

Must check, which option exactly, but what I did is

Code:
ifconfig re0 -rxcsum
ifconfig re0 -txcsum
ifconfig re0 -txcsum6

Must check which option exactly is the culprit.

At the moment it is working and I have:

Code:
# ifconfig re0|grep options
        options=2018<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,WOL_MAGIC>
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Back