Problems Installing Java

Hi:

I'm hitting this very same thing. In a server it all went ok. But now when i do this in a virtual machine i use to simulate my server environment i got it. I have some less software installed in this just deployed system. So i think this is a matters of a problem in some of the packages (diablo or its dependencies) that is missing some dependency. I'll try to copy the library from another system and see what happens.

I can't list that directory, it doesn't exists.

is ls: No match.

However it all makes sense now. Now trying to see the version of the .tgz realized that it is the incorrect version for this OS. Forget it ale false alarm. I was not paying attention to that should say 7 instead of 6. So I guess somebody downloaded the version for freebsd 6 and will have to tell her to download the proper one. Damn I was quite clear. Next time i will publish it in the server so she doesn't have a choice to download something else (I hope I'm not violating some copyright here because i saw some long list of licencing and stuff for java you are not used to see here in BSD zones)

I guess should be the same problem that faced the original poster. Again thanks for the light, that libpthreads never existed in other similar setup jej i even installed the linux emulation layer to see if that could fix it but no luck (of course).

Anyway I want to do a constructive critic for the folks packaging java. I beleive the setup script should detect that is running in another OS and should give a warning instead of go ahead and install everything without a single warning and break with unresolved libraries. Can drive crazy anyone ;).

halplus said:
Anyway I want to do a constructive critic for the folks packaging java. I beleive the setup script should detect that is running in another OS and should give a warning instead of go ahead and install everything without a single warning and break with unresolved libraries. Can drive crazy anyone ;).
It seems you are using the package.
The port has a check:
Code:
DISTNAME=       ${PKGNAMEPREFIX}caffe-${JDK_OSREL}-${ARCH}-${JDK_VERSION}_${RELEASE_VERSION}-b${BUILD_VERSION}
.if ${OSVERSION} >= 700000
JDK_OSREL=      freebsd7
PLIST_SUB+=     RELEASENOTE="@comment "
.else
JDK_OSREL=      freebsd6
PLIST_SUB+=     RELEASENOTE=""
.endif
I'm not sure that this kind of logic can be put in a package.

Hi ale:

Yes i was installing with a package since is the easier way to do offline things given my small bandwidth (slow dialup, no.. very very slow that i increase a little with SSH tunnel + compression). Anyway about the check i beleive is possible. Packages run pre and post installation scripts as far as i remember. There is even an option in pkg_add to not execute them.

from the pkg_add man page:

Code:
-I, --no-script
	     If any installation scripts (pre-install or post-install) exist
	     for a given package, do not execute them.

so maybe using uname -a with grep or something can permit comparing the os version in one of those pre-install scripts. I would do it but i am not quite advanced in shell script programming (I am not a big fan since i come from strongly typed world). Also when you install diablo first it will print a large license that later you will have to type yes or no for "Do you agree?" And that is an script without doubt.

inside the package i can read in +INSTALL

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# $FreeBSD$

# Set up a standard path
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin

# Hack to prevent licensing from breaking bento.
if [ "x${PACKAGE_BUILDING}" != "x" ]; then
	exit 0
fi

# Attempt to install a link for the browser plugin during post-install
if [ "$2" = "POST-INSTALL" ]; then
	# Plugin location variables

I'm not using packages, so I didn't know it.
Probably there are a lot of macros or ready functions to do this kind of check.
Maybe you should ask for this improvement in the java mailing list.

Back