Solved Problem With Writing an Image File to USB

The problem is the computer is not booting into FreeBSD (it goes right to Ubuntu). Do you have any idea why this is happening?

I just googled around a bit and found that Ubuntu actually has a signed bootloader and thus can boot with SecureBoot enabled.
FreeBSD will only boot with SecureBoot disabled, so I guess that's your Problem.
Search the BIOS for an option called SecureBoot and disable it.

Thanks, k.jacker! I think you got it to work!

I just went through the install. One question: Would it matter if I removed the USB stick when I was at this screen before hitting ENTER on Reboot?

That's what I did (removed the USB stick first) and some message then appeared on that screen, but I was still able to hit ENTER to Reboot. Then when it was trying to reboot it kept scrolling the same text for about 10 seconds (infinitely), so I just hit the power button. Then I hit the power button again and was greeted with the FreeBSD Boot Loader Menu:

I waited for it to count down and then entered my username and password. The only thing is in the handbook (at the bottom of this page: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-post.html), it says: "If sshd was enabled in Figure 2.46, “Selecting Additional Services to Enable”, the first boot may be a bit slower as the system will generate the RSA and DSA keys. Subsequent boots will be faster. The fingerprints of the keys will be displayed, as seen in this example."

I don't believe I ever saw this and I do believe I had sshd enabled. Do you think I did something wrong by removing the USB stick BEFORE hitting Reboot and then manually powering down the computer and turning it back on when it got stuck in some weird loop?

If not, I would like to know how to go about installing Xorg and Xfce. Can I just skip chapters 3 and 4 of the Handbook and go straight to Chapter 5: The X Window System?

Reboot is actually a binary that is read from disk and then executed. When you removed the USB stick the system may have complained about the missing file or even paniced, as it was a mounted drive. Doesn't matter. The install was done at that point and the USB stick itself is mounted read only,

You can reconfigure EVERYTHING an anytime. It doesn't matter at all what choices you make during install.
Don't bother with sshd for now, I doubt you need it.

Since you are a bloody noob ;) I would strongly recommend reading chapter 3 and 4. You will otherwise never understand how things work in FreeBSD.
The chapter about Xorg is a bit dated. What you need in the process of getting XFCE to run, can be split up in following important parts.
  • A KMS driver for your graphics hardware.
  • Xorg
  • XFCE
  • and if you want a graphical login manager

Allways start a new thead on every topic if you run into problems. Most topics have been discussed before, so just crossreading the Xorg forum will give you some insight, too.

Thanks! So I take it I have nothing to worry about in terms of the installation.

I just took a quick look at Chapters 3 and 4. It was pretty dense, so I just got the gist of everything.

One question about Chapter 4: Do I need to decide whether I'll use packages OR ports (just one or the other)? I think packages sound easier, so should I just always install applications using packages?

Since I want to get the DE up and running soon, I will follow your steps. Do you think the Handbook is still adequate for getting a DE set up?

Do I really need a KMS driver for my graphics hardware? I heard the Lenovo ThinkPad I'm using is largely compatible with FreeBSD. If I do need the KMS driver, how do I go about doing that?

Yes, use packages. As your text editor I'd suggest you use ee.

You must read the Handbook, or you'll keep asking stuff, that's allready well documented.

I hope you bought a Thinkpad that only has integrated Intel graphics.
pkg install drm-kmod
Then add to /etc/rc.conf
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
That's the KMS driver part.
You can skip the parts in the Handbook, that explain how to set up xorg.conf, the KMS driver does that on it's own.

Now you have to actually start learning stuff yourself. Ask when you get stuck.

According to https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops, the ThinkPad X270 has supported graphics and drm-next.

I'm sorry if these are tedious questions; I just feel a little lost. Do I use the text editor ee for anything? Also, where do I type "pkg install drm-kmod"? And how do I add that line to /etc/rc.conf?

You'll enter those commands in the shell. Impossible to miss ;)
In the shell, when logged in as root ee /etc/rc.conf will open the file for editing, make your changes, save and exit.

Be aware of the pain ahead. I see smoke coming of your brain already.
Just don't give up after all that effort I put in you.
Grab a beer sometimes and turn away from the computer for a while if it gets too hard.

Thanks. I'm not going to give up, and I'm very grateful for the time you've put into this issue. Do I have to be logged in as root when I enter the command as well?

Regarding the file, which I'll edit in ee, do I add that line to the top, bottom, or middle of the file? Also: Are there buttons for Save and Exit in ee?

Hi, k.jacker (and everyone else), I have some questions again.

I am going to try installing XFCE soon. First, I was wondering if I should just go with the FreeBSD Handbook's instructions or the instructions at https://www.linuxhelp.com/how-to-install-xfce-desktop-in-freebsd

I see k.jacker says
I hope you bought a Thinkpad that only has integrated Intel graphics.
pkg install drm-kmod
Then add to /etc/rc.conf
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
That's the KMS driver part.
You can skip the parts in the Handbook, that explain how to set up xorg.conf, the KMS driver does that on it's own.

The LinuxHelp.com instructions don't say that I should do what k.jacker is recommending.

I'm just wondering how I should go about doing this.

You found one of the worst tutorials floating around. Don‘t follow this crap. Read the Handbook and to get an idea how things fit together in general, which is most important. All necessary details have been discussed on the forum many times. Use the forum‘s search function instead of google.

Hey Scribner for what its worth look at you tube. you might query 'freebsd install xfce' or whatever. there are some gems in there for sure. it is true hand-holding in some cases. you see pictures and sometimes good oral instructions with it. good luck!

Back