Problem with Gnome

I install gnome on freebsd 7.2.
1)After pkgdb -Ff and portupgrade gnome-session gnome not view pictures. He doesn't see pictures, maybe i delete it? What me to do?
2)Gnome after login make reboot gnome.

How to fix this problems?

csup is fine, as long as you use it right (you can follow the handbook). But I think portsnap is easier.

I would recommend running pkg_version -vs gnome to see what version you gnome packages are at.

(What do you mean by that it can view pictures?)

Ah... I had this problem as well after I accidentally deleted some files in /usr/local/. I reinstalled everything that x11/gnome2 depended on, and it went back to normal.

Perhaps someone can point out the port that is causing this.

Oh, thanks! Pictures is ok. But i can't login. Gnome have reboot after type login and pass. How to fix this?

How are you starting GDM? If you did it using /etc/ttys remove that. GDM won't work properly that way. Just add to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"
Or all in one go:
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"

yandzee said:
Write: No such file. ???

What do you mean no such file? To be honest I've never enabled xdm or kdm or gdm before on my machine, but anyway I just tried and it worked fine.

I just did the following:

Switch on xdm the /etc/ttys file:
Code:
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

Create an .xsession file in my home directory with the following content(since am using xfce4):
Code:
exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4

Oh... FFS! DO NOT EDIT /etc/ttys!!

Just add to /etc/rc.conf
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"

Forget everything else that's been said here.

I would press ctrl-alt-f1 and look for any messages from gnome-session or some other gnome service. They sometimes have a tendency to fail if the system isn't set up right. Also look at the log messages in /var/log, especially /var/log/gdm. (You have to be the super-user to look in there, at least on my system.)

Or you could try running gnome-session from inside X just to see if that is the issue.

I would also try re-installing all gnome components and dependencies. Or did you already do this?

And there is this thing in UPDATING:

Code:
20100122:
  AFFECTS: users of sysutils/policykit and sysutils/polkit
  AUTHOR: gnome@FreeBSD.org

Due to a recent change in sysutils/policykit, both 
sysutils/policykit, and sysutils/polkit need to be rebuilt,
but in a certain order.  First, upgrade sysutils/policykit 
to 0.9_6.  Then, force a rebuild and reinstall of 
sysutils/polkit.  If you do not do this, applications which 
depend on polkitd will fail.

I think that GDM (authorization) -> gnome-session(desktop).

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
#gnome_enable="NO"

In console:
gdm (open a auth window)
Login root;
Pass root;
Failed, gnome reboot this.
Reboot.

In console:

Code:
gnome-session
"Failed to open display"
Maybe it is that error?

GDM login - but gnome-session give error, here reboot.

Have you got idea?
How to fix Failed to open display??

You are logging in as root? That should work, but I would try as a normal user first. I don't think it is ever suggested to run gnome as root.

Maybe do this:
put this in ~/.xinitrc for a normal user:
Code:
exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

and then run startx as that normal user. Then if it fails, it should tell you something about why.

The learning curve can be steep. Just to warn you, things don't generally just work on freebsd as a desktop - for now the user pretty much needs to do a lot of learning about how the system works.

Here is info on user management on freebsd. And it is worthwhile to read more of the handbook - if you plan to use freebsd as your desktop you will need to work through quite a few other things. Maybe it is available in your language?

Back