Problem with big "make install clean"

Hey guys, I need a little help here... As documented in the FreeBSD handbook, one of the first things you do is type: cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg and make install clean. However, when I do this, it comes up with the errors: No package 'x11-xcb' found and No package 'xcb-glx' found. How do I fix this? Please be specific, I'm only 14, I got past the installer, managed to hook up internet but this has left me baffled, and all the stuff I find on the net is gibberish to me. Thanks in advance.

So you are trying to install software from ports.
Did you installed sw from the cd/dvd? I mean while you was installing the os?
Are you sure it's not installed yet? What is the output of $ pkg_info ?
Probably is something related to the xorg upgrade.

If so, I'd suggest you to reinstall the os without installing package from cd/dvd/net.
When you have the OS installed, get the ports tree and start installing like described in this chapter of the handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

I don't think it's installed, the output (for everything "x") is xchat, xextproto, xf86vidmodeproto, xineramaproto, xorg-fonts-truetype and xproto.

LateNiteTV said:
libX11 may need to be rebuilt with xcb support.
try running
Code:
make config
on the libX11 port
forgive me for my stupidity, but what directory should i cd for that?

Thanks, but unfortunately that doesn't help me out much, due to you already telling me what's on that page.

i dont understand why it wouldnt be safe. thats what sysinstall does when you install it from the cd. ive never had any issues with it.

Well I just did it, but I'm not sure it worked, it took about five minutes and when I type startx or Xorg -configure the command is not found

Heh, if you're using [t]csh (which is the default) you need to:
Code:
# rehash
for the shell to find the newly installed executable.

Good luck, BTW.

Back