Problem updating fresh installation

I just installed the system but I can't seem to be able to update it. The update command doesn't see any mirror and is unable to fetch the key. This is what I'm getting:

Code:
freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
Fetching public key from update.FreeBSD.org... failed
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

I also tried portsnap fetch and it went perfectly fine. It downloaded the whole package and I could extract it afterwards. I'm new to FreeBSD so I don't know what else to look. I could find no other solutions online so any pointer would be appreciated.

I'm running FreeBSD on a VMWare environment. This is my version:

Code:
uname -a
FreeBSD lab-free 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan 3 07:15:25 UTC 2012     root@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Also, pinging the update server seems to be working just fine:

Code:
ping freebsd.org
64 bytes from 149.20.53.40: icmp_seq=0 ttl=47 time=247.374 ms

I can't copy-paste from the machine so I had to type char by char... :(

Thanks in advance for your help!

dsancho,

I've never used the freebsd-update command, but it seems that your system either does not resolve the mirror correctly or it doesn't search for the proper file-path on the mirror it is looking at. From the man(8) page I did not find any verbose option, but I see that you can give a specific server as an option, using -s. Moreover, you should consult the /etc/freebsd-update.conf file to see what the settings are, because this is -most probably, since your network seems to work- where your problem relies.

And take a look at the Handbook, you might find something useful there (if you haven't done it already).

Good luck.

Ah!

Now I saw that you are running FreeBSD from within a VM. Try to see your firewall settings on your host system (as well as on your FreeBSD box, which I suppose you haven't setup already) and see if it blocks something. Use tcpdump on both machines to see where the packets are sent and what responses you're getting.

If portsnap and ping work fine, then it is probably just an issue with the FreeBSD-update mirror. Wait a while and try again.

Back