Problem running Firefox on FreeBSD 7.2

After FreeBSD 7.2 was released, I made a fresh install of it. I have used Firefox (both 2 and 3) on FreeBSD 7.0 and 7.1. Now, Ff (both 2 and 3) does not run on my FreeBSD 7.2 box. There is no indication of error(s) either.
Anyone with some idea on this behaviour of Ff?

Works fine for me...

Open an xterm and start firefox from there. Any errors then?

Yes, I run firefox from xterm. I get back the prompt after 1 or 2 seconds. No indication of errors at all. I tried forefox 2, 3 and 3 devel, all with the same behaviour.
BTW, I am running Fluxbox.

Now, I am experiencing something strange. I didn't try this before.
When I run Firefox with super user privileges, it works.
What does this mean?

Check the permissions of the .mozilla directory under your home directory (% ls -ld ~/.mozilla). It should be something like:

Code:
drwx------  5 you  you  512 Aug 23  2008 .mozilla

All its subdirectories should belong to you as well.

@DutchDaemon, thank you. ~/.mozilla was owned by root. I know why but I don't understand why this should have happened in the first place.
After changing the ownership of the ~/.mozilla directory, it worked but... it should have worked without me having to run Ff as root for the first time.

If you run firefox as root, it will use/create /root/.mozilla, if it starts at all. It should actually produce an error like this:

Code:
# /usr/local/bin/firefox3 
Error: no display specified

unless you were running the desktop as root in the first place. Which you shouldn't do, of course.

Running FF as root won't create ~you/.mozilla or change its ownerships.

In other words: ~you/.mozilla was probably already root-owned for some reason or other, like running your desktop or doing some file operations as root at one point.

I am running my desktop as a normal user. The time when firefox worked with super user privileges, I had my privileges escalated using sudo (same home directory with super user privileges).

I didn't check whether the ~/.mozilla directory existed or not before that. I guess I have been careless somewhere.

Thank for sharing the info. It is good to have people helping out each other.

Back