problem installing freebsd with network

hi,
i using tftp+nfs for installing freebsd 8 RC1...
09-10-24_2213.jpg
Code:
server# cat /etc/exports 
/mnt/freebsd/tftp -maproot=root -network 192.168.100.0 -mask 255.255.255.0

Code:
rc.conf
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 4"
rpcbind_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="YES"

Code:
dhcp.conf
	host netboot {
		hardware ethernet 00:1f:c6:{*_*};
		fixed-address 192.168.100.2;
		option root-path "192.168.100.100:/mnt/freebsd/tftp";
		filename "/boot/pxeboot";
		}

Code:
server# showmount -e localhost
Exports list on localhost:
/mnt/freebsd/tftp                             192.168.100.0

Code:
server# cat /etc/inetd.conf|grep tftp
tftp	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/libexec/tftpd	tftpd -l -s /cdrom

Code:
server# cat /mnt/freebsd/tftp/boot/loader.conf 
mfsroot_load="YES"
mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"
autoboot_delay="3"
#vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"

where the problem?

I am trying to troubleshoot my own effort to install FreeBSD 8 from the files in the bootonly.iso (sparc64 port) which I have copied onto a TFTP server. I appear to be able to get the sparc64 machine to fetch the /boot/loader executable from the TFTP server, but after that I just get
\ (followed by a long pause)
can't load 'kernel'
I suspect that I am missing something special that I need to do with loader.conf to get it to fetch the /boot/kernel/kernel and /boot/mfsroot via TFTP.

(For whatever it may be worth by the way after copying the bootonly.iso files over into /tftpboot I then decompressed /boot/mfsroot.gz --> mfsroot based on some other search hits.)

For the sake of education might anyone help me understand what the bootonly.iso /boot/loader executable is designed to do and maybe provide some basic pointers on how to configure it to boot the installer via network?

I am wondering for example if I have to set the /boot/kernel/kernel and /boot/mfsroot files up into a(n) nfs share in order for the loader executable to fetch the them...? (scratching head)

More specifically... after the sparc64 machine fetches the loader executable from the TFTP server what I get is...
Code:
Consoles: Open Firmware console

Booting with sun4u support.

FreeBSD/sparc64 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.0
(root@araz.cse.buffalo.edu, (date /time stamp)
bootpath={devalias path}:{boot net options that I put in}
boot: ethernet address: {MAC address of the sparc64 machine's network interface}
\  {long pause}
can't load 'kernel'

Thinking more about it... if the sparc64 machine fetches the loader executable via TFTP then how can I direct the loader executable to go get the loader.conf file from the TFTP server?

Back