Problem installing FreeBSD 8-RELEASE on Virtualbox

I am new to FreeBSD and wish to try it out on VirtualBox. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Alpha with kernel 2.6.33-rc7generic. The VirtualBox version is 3.1.4 (non-OSE). I downloaded latest FreeBSD iso (8.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso) via Torrents and have verified the md5. I created a virtual machine for FreeBSD which has the following configuration:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<VirtualBox xmlns="http://www.innotek.de/VirtualBox-settings" version="1.9-linux">
  <Machine uuid="{717dfd93-47eb-4e70-beb0-0e022b5d163a}" name="FreeBSD" OSType="FreeBSD" lastStateChange="2010-02-15T13:31:04Z">
    <ExtraData>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/AutoresizeGuest" value="on"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Fullscreen" value="off"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastCloseAction" value="powerOff"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="555,166,720,447"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/MiniToolBarAlignment" value="bottom"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/MiniToolBarAutoHide" value="on"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SaveMountedAtRuntime" value="yes"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Seamless" value="off"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ShowMiniToolBar" value="yes"/>
    </ExtraData>
    <Hardware version="2">
      <CPU count="1">
        <HardwareVirtEx enabled="true" exclusive="true"/>
        <HardwareVirtExNestedPaging enabled="true"/>
        <HardwareVirtExVPID enabled="true"/>
        <PAE enabled="false"/>
      </CPU>
      <Memory RAMSize="686"/>
      <Boot>
        <Order position="1" device="DVD"/>
        <Order position="2" device="HardDisk"/>
        <Order position="3" device="None"/>
        <Order position="4" device="None"/>
      </Boot>
      <Display VRAMSize="128" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="false"/>
      <RemoteDisplay enabled="false" port="3389" authType="Null" authTimeout="5000"/>
      <BIOS>
        <ACPI enabled="true"/>
        <IOAPIC enabled="false"/>
        <Logo fadeIn="true" fadeOut="true" displayTime="0"/>
        <BootMenu mode="MessageAndMenu"/>
        <TimeOffset value="0"/>
        <PXEDebug enabled="false"/>
      </BIOS>
      <USBController enabled="true" enabledEhci="true"/>
      <Network>
        <Adapter slot="0" enabled="true" MACAddress="080027DB4612" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM">
          <NAT/>
        </Adapter>
        <Adapter slot="1" enabled="false" MACAddress="080027BE0AEE" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM"/>
        <Adapter slot="2" enabled="false" MACAddress="0800277AA36F" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM"/>
        <Adapter slot="3" enabled="false" MACAddress="08002708E669" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM"/>
        <Adapter slot="4" enabled="false" MACAddress="080027716CAD" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM"/>
        <Adapter slot="5" enabled="false" MACAddress="080027BBF9D4" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM"/>
        <Adapter slot="6" enabled="false" MACAddress="0800271F178D" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM"/>
        <Adapter slot="7" enabled="false" MACAddress="080027132775" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM"/>
      </Network>
      <UART>
        <Port slot="0" enabled="false" IOBase="0x3f8" IRQ="4" hostMode="Disconnected"/>
        <Port slot="1" enabled="false" IOBase="0x3f8" IRQ="4" hostMode="Disconnected"/>
      </UART>
      <LPT>
        <Port slot="0" enabled="false" IOBase="0x378" IRQ="4"/>
        <Port slot="1" enabled="false" IOBase="0x378" IRQ="4"/>
      </LPT>
      <AudioAdapter controller="AC97" driver="Pulse" enabled="true"/>
      <SharedFolders/>
      <Clipboard mode="Bidirectional"/>
      <Guest memoryBalloonSize="0" statisticsUpdateInterval="0"/>
      <GuestProperties>
        <GuestProperty name="/VirtualBox/HostInfo/GUI/LanguageID" value="en_US" timestamp="1266240666935513000" flags=""/>
      </GuestProperties>
    </Hardware>
    <StorageControllers>
      <StorageController name="IDE Controller" type="PIIX4" PortCount="2">
        <AttachedDevice type="HardDisk" port="0" device="0">
          <Image uuid="{55bfb375-3eba-499d-91eb-acae7b6e5d6b}"/>
        </AttachedDevice>
        <AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" port="0" device="1">
          <Image uuid="{6fe5f5ab-21bc-4eb5-bb5b-4f8e46387fab}"/>
        </AttachedDevice>
      </StorageController>
    </StorageControllers>
  </Machine>
</VirtualBox>
Basically, I have created a 10GB HDD and kept it as IDE Primary master, and a CDROM with FreeBSD iso as IDE Primary Slave.

I booted into the machine from CDROM and selected the default boot option (option 1). I got the following during boot:

But I get to the next part and then select my country and keymap.
I went on to the standard installation.
I used 'A' to select 'Use entire disk' and then 'Q'.
I chose 'Install a standard MBR' and then continue.
I use 'Auto Defaults' on 'FreeBSD Disklabel Editor' and then 'Q'.
I chose Minimal installation Only and then choose CD/DVD. I get the following after I do this:

I tried it again and again but the error continues to show up.

Am I doing anything wrong. I have provided whatever I thought is required and am willing to give out more if needed. I am willing to try something else you suggest.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

I can attest to having the same issue. ACD0 on VirtualBox 3.1.6 using FreeBSD 8 always gives that error for some reason. However, I found that error doesn't appear on 7.3, so your option at this point is to use that instead.

Hi the problem is because u dont have to put CD as primary slave. You have to change it to secondary master. I am triying the same as you in a virtual box and i first have the same problem. That was 5 days ago... now i am still battling with some errors xD.

BTW is you get another errors installing xorg and gnome tell me because maybe the errors are generated by the virtual box.

Same issue on VirtualBox 3.1.6 r59338 and 7.3-RELEASE (7.2 was OK). Sysinstall could not mount acd0. No luck with either CD on either primary slave or secondary master, controller type PIIX3/PIIX4/ICH6. I Would have to mount ISO on host virtual drive and serve it through FTP, but I deleted the IDE controller, added SCSI controller instead, found VirtualBox does not offer any SCSI CD drive, went back to add a PIIX4 IDE controller then it works ! 7.3-RELEASE is installing now from disc1.iso mounted as VirtualBox CD. Good luck !

config below works with 3.2.6_OSEr63112.
+ IDE Controller: IDE Primary Master (CD/DVD): FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso (681.74 MB)
+ SATA Controller: SATA Port 0: freebsd.vdi (Normal, 8.00 GB)

Add a SATA controller and attach the hard disk image/vdi to that.
IDE HDD in Vbx has been reported by some to cause problems.

May be VirtualBox doesn't recognize cd well, so try to add this to /etc/devfs.rules:
Code:
add path 'acd*' mode 0660 group operator
add path 'cd*' mode 0660 group operator
add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group operator
And this to /etc/devfs.conf:
Code:
link acd0 cd0
own acd* SIFE:wheel
perm acd* 0660
own cd* SIFE:wheel
perm cd* 0660
perm xpt* 0660
perm pass* 0660
Also load atapicam module:
Code:
echo 'atapicam_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
Try to reboot your system and then start the virtual image to see what happen.

Back