Problem building KDE4 from ports

Hello again,

I am trying to install KDE4 on FreeBSD 9-RC2. I install xorg perfectly fine with:
# make -DBATCH clean install

Then I attempt to build KDE4 with:
# make -DBATCH clean install

This will run for a long time and finally hang with no errors but two oddly repeated entries:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs4/work/kdelibs-4.7.3/build/CMakeFiles
/usr/local/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs4/work/kdelibs-4.7.3/build/CMakeFiles
[100%] [100%] Built target testkhtml
Built target testkhtml_static

I have tried deinstalling and then building again. Re-installed the system only to keep ending at this spot.

I had such problem with KDE4 building it from ports.

My "fix" was just doing CTRL + C and then re-running make, then doing again CTRL + C then make.

Sometimes I did stop compiling for kde4 and tried to compile needed ports first. Sometimes I did a make clean then retried compilation. Sometimes I did make instead of make -DBATCH install and manually checked every option.

It will still freeze. Doing CTRL + C and then make again it will help. I did that many times since I did not find a proper fix yet. So compilation is in a freeze mode but stopping it and running make again it helps to go further in compilation process.

This helps you compile but is not the desired fix. It will take you a long time.

If you are going to build the ports using the default options, why not just install the pre-built packages? The end result would be the same, but without wasting time compiling things.

Even if he instal kde4 from packages or not, kde4 compilation from ports should work (I say that after three days of freeze/compiling, on a quad core machine. In normal case it should take few hours).

overmind said:
I had such problem with KDE4 building it from ports.

My "fix" was just doing CTRL + C and then re-running make, then doing again CTRL + C then make.

That has been my solution as well and every rebuild it has always stopped at the same spots; strangely this seems to only do this with KDE4 builds.

At first I thought it was because of the option I had chosen to install so I used
Code:
make BATCH=yes clean install
for the generic options but it still continued doing it.

I took about 6 hours to use the ctrl+c method but I did finally get it built. Clearly this is something that needs to be addressed.

There is not a package available for KDE4 that I can find right now. This is probably because the servers that build the packages from the source cannot complete the build. That would be my guess anyways.

There isn't a package for kde4.tbz. However, all the individual kde*4.tbz packages are available. The following will get you a basic desktop, then you can add the extras as needed (games, admin, graphics, multimedia, etc):
Code:
# pkg_add -r kde-workspace kde-runtime kdelibs4 kdenetwork4

Back