Solved Problem after updating to FreeBSD 11.0

I have no X now, I get libcrypto.so.7 not found , also sudo doesn't work now I get shared objetct libpam.so.5 not found, requiered by "sudoers.so"

I really don't know what to do...

Some packages failed to build with portmaster -af, I reinstalled sudo and now it work but I still don't have x I get libcrypto.so.7 not found.

I read this https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2016-January/059318.html I installed package
compat10x rebooted and now i have X again, my window manager bspwm work as normal, why this happened? i really dont know what im doing i installed that package because in that web page said that that package install the libcrypto.so.7 libraries.

If I do uname -a
I get this:

Code:
FreeBSD dambsd 11.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Oct 24 06:55:27 UTC 2016     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

So FreeBSD was updated correctly?

Ports and packages are not part the FreeBSD operating system, they are contributed third party software. A major version upgrade of the base operating system (such as going from 10.3 to 11.0) will not upgrade the ports and packages automatically for you.

This is the procedure you should apply after a major version upgrade:

Code:
#pkg-static bootstrap -f
(answer yes at the prompt)

# pkg update -f
# pkg upgrade -f -y

After this you will want to switch from the quarterly packages to the latest especially if you're also going to build any ports yourself using the ports tree from portsnap(8). Add a new file /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with contents:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

After adding the above run these commands:

Code:
# pkg update -f
# pkg upgrade -y

some packages failed to build with portmaster -af,
This is your problem, not the "missing" library. Library versions may change between FreeBSD releases such as libcrypto.so.7. This is a library in FreeBSD 10.x, but not FreeBSD 11.x. Recompiling / reinstalling packages after an upgrade, ensures software is pointing to the correct libraries for your system.

Also FreeBSD 11 is at p5 now, so you should run FreeBSD update.

Thanks to all, i followed kpa advice and now all is working as normal, but let me see if i understand , doing pkg upgrade -y installed binaries packages not from source? If I want to rebuild the packages and using source I will have to use portmaster -af?
Is there anything better than portmaster to rebuild from source?
Why freebsd-update update my system to 11.0 p2 and not to 11.0 p5?

i did freebsd-update fetch and i get this:
i dont know how to continue, i have to say from what i see in the forums that the freebsd community is more patient than some linux distro forums.

WP_20161213_21_51_00_Pro_zpsfiaiqrxi.jpg
WP_20161213_21_51_00_Pro_zpsfiaiqrxi.jpg

At this point, you would hit enter or q (I think, can't remember) to get out of the pager display and then run sudo freebsd-update install. This would install the updates you just fetched.

Thanks for compliment :) I am very patient but am certainly not an expert. I have been using FreeBSD only for a few months, Linux close to 20 years before that. There is a LOT of experience here so you should be able to find the help you need.

if i want to rebuild the packages and using source i will have to use portmaster -af? is there anything better than portmaster to rebuild from source?

A lot of us are using ports-mgmt/synth as our day to day builder tool, but come to think if it, I'm not sure if Synth can be told to "rebuild all installed ports" even if no updates are available. It's pretty smart so maybe its author has detection logic built in that figures that out. I'll try to fart around with that soon, but might be a few days.

I upgraded from 10.x to 11.x with synth. The way I did it was to delete all files in /var/synth/live_packages/All and then run synth prepare-system. Followed by a pkg-static upgrade -r Synth -f.

Yeah sorry, I'm just answering PacketMan where he was wondering how you got it to rebuild all installed ports.

if i do sudo freebsd-update fetch i get this:

Code:
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 11.0-RELEASE-p5.

$
Code:
sudo freebsd-update install
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.
$ sudo freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 11.0-RELEASE-p5.

It doens t download any file.
if i do sudo freebsd-update install i get this:

Code:
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.

What version are you on now? I think 11 p5 is the latest but I'm not sure. Oh, sorry, I see the issue: you are on the base release and it says p5 is the latest. I just noticed mine is doing the same thing: I am on p2 and it says p5 is the latest but I have no updates. Hmmm, not sure what is happening but apparently I have the same problem.

EDIT: my system does not find any mirrors so different issue. Time to troubleshoot.

It's not a problem if you understand how freebsd-update(8) updates work. If there are no changes to the kernel sources the kernel is not recompiled (well it is but the changed kernel is not included in the update changeset) at all to avoid unnecessary updates to files that don't really need to be updated. This is why the uname(1) output will still say 11.0-RELEASE-p2 even though the userland is 11.0-RELEASE-p5. To find out which version you really have installed you use the (quite new) utility named freebsd-version(1):

freebsd-version -u

You'll never run into this issue if you build your kernel and world from sources because you're going to recompile both of them every time there's an update to the sources.

Ah OK, my version says
Code:
11.0-RELEASE-p5
while uname -r states
Code:
11.0-RELEASE-p2
. Thanks for the clarification kpa, appreciate it! I resolved my "no mirrors" issue by adding a couple of public DNS servers to my /etc/resolv.conf.

I'm not a big fan of this "feature" of freebsd-update(8) but you'll just have to live with it. There's work towards packaging the base system with ports-mgmt/pkg and with that system you would have properly versioned packages of everything and there wouldn't be any confusion if a component such as the kernel needs updating or not and there would be no harm in doing dummy updates that just update the version number.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase

Thanks freebsd-version -u says:
Code:
11.0-RELEASE-p5
as sevendogs, i will ask some more questions because i want to build a custom kernel, this forum is great!!!

I'm not a big fan of this "feature" of freebsd-update(8) but you'll just have to live with it. There's work towards packaging the base system with ports-mgmt/pkg and with that system you would have properly versioned packages of everything and there wouldn't be any confusion if a component such as the kernel needs updating or not and there would be no harm in doing dummy updates that just update the version number.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase

Interesting, so are you saying there is work being done so that ports-mgmt/pkg can update the core OS and not just user applications under /usr/local? I guess as long as the core OS still stays separate from the user applications that's OK. One of the things that attracted me to FreeBSD is the separation of OS and user applications, something Linux doesn't do at all.

Yes, the separation of base system vs. ports and the stable ABI promise will stay and the base system packages are going to be separate from the packages that are built from ports.

A lot of us are using ports-mgmt/synth as our day to day builder tool, but come to think if it, I'm not sure if Synth can be told to "rebuild all installed ports" even if no updates are available. It's pretty smart so maybe its author has detection logic built in that figures that out. I'll try to fart around with that soon, but might be a few days.
ports-mgmt/synth will, in fact up(grade/date) your entire (installed) ports. Whether built from ports, or installed via pkg(8). :)

HTH

--Chris

Back