private meta-ports and poudriere

I'm building repositories for my servers with poudriere in the usual way. For easier installation, and to have some more clarity in the pkg databases, I'd like to include private meta-ports with the repositories that poudriere builds.

I know how to write a meta-port, and I know how to put it into a ports tree. I know that I could create my own git branch of the ports tree that would contain my meta-ports, and also track the main (or quarterly) branch. However, I hate git (and git hates me), which is why I tend to nuke and re-create the entire /usr/ports directory often. Therefore, I want to save myself the headache of using git for this.

Is there another way to include private meta-ports in a pkg repo built with poudriere bulk?

There's a new function in the ports tree called "overlays", with that you can have a custom ports tree and overlay that on a "full" ports tree. That way you don't have to copy the entire tree to build a few custom ports. I'm not sure if that functionality is already working in poudriere but they're definitely working on integrating it.

Huh, I hadn't heard. That sounds very useful. Is it implemented using the Makefile code structure of the ports tree?

It should but I haven't had the chance to figure out how it actually works yet.

For the record: This has worked well. It needs ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel at the moment, but should be included with ports-mgmt/poudriere when version 4.0 comes out.

I created a skeleton overlay ports tree, imported it into poudriere with poudriere ports -c -p overlay -m null -M /my/tree and then ran the bulk run with the appropriate arguments: poudriere bulk -p default -O overlay -j myjail -f myportlist.

Only shortcut I took was I avoided using my own category like local/myport, because I didn't want to deal with overlaying a VALID_CATEGORIES entry somehow.

Back