Prioritize empty ack packets with ipfw?

Hello,

I read about enhancing the overall responsiveness and download-speed when a concurrent upload is running using this approach of priorizing empty ack packets. Since I'm on a pretty slow adsl-connction (384/64 kbit/s) I hope this could help to reduce some of the waiting time I have when doing simple things like websurfing.
I didn't find a manual for doing this using ipfw. Maybe someone here is willing to help :)

My configuration is:
* FreeBSD 8.1 as DSL-router
* interface to my lan is: ue0 (192.168.10.1)
* interface to dsl-modem: fxp0

I'm using ppp to connect to the internet and its built-in nat feature to share this connection (btw: I read that ipfw has a nat feature as well, would there be a reason to switch to this one?)

Many thanks in advance.

AFAIK, FreeBSD does not have any mechanism to prioritize packets managed directly with ipfw. FreeBSD's dummynet is able to add delays, loss-rate, maximum-bandwith and weights to ip flows/streams, but not priorities.

If you need prioritization, then you should try using 'pf'. pf is 'priority' aware. This page should help you implementing it.

x32smooth said:
Hello,

I read about enhancing the overall responsiveness and download-speed when a concurrent upload is running using this approach of priorizing empty ack packets. Since I'm on a pretty slow adsl-connction (384/64 kbit/s) I hope this could help to reduce some of the waiting time I have when doing simple things like websurfing.
I didn't find a manual for doing this using ipfw. Maybe someone here is willing to help :)

My configuration is: FreeBSD 8.1 as DSL-router
interface to my lan is: ue0 (192.168.10.1)
interface to dsl-modem: fxp0
Im using ppp to connect to the internet and its inbuild nat-feature to share this connection (btw: I read that ipfw has a nat-feature as well, would there be a reason to switch to this one?)

many thanks in advance.

Just wanted to mention that this would only work if your upload connection is saturated (which is when software queuing kicks in), that is, you do some heavy uploading.

Thanks to both of you. So i have to switch to pf. Ok 'ill try :)

bbzz: 'heavy' is relative with such a limited linespeed :)

Back