Printer support

OP
OP
S

stream

Went ahead and ordered an HP network laser printer..

In the meantime, I have been fiddling with raspberry pi- tried couple of different operating systems- Arch linux, and Raspbian. Even though it is Debian based, the Canon driver did not install, because they are meant for x86 only, darn the pi are Arm chips!

I also got another Canon printer MG5620 this is a wireless color inkjet. I did manage to get this working with the Pi print server. Gutenprint has some drivers for this printer, and installation was easy. During installation, the Cups interface detected both the USB and the Network printer, and I chose the USB option, and the share-printer options.

Now am trying to print to this network printer on my Freebsd client machine. Unfortunately, the localhost Cups does not detect the printer. During installation, the network printer shows nothing! I can ping to the Pi server just fine.

Can the the experts here point me all the steps involved to get network printing up and running. I tried the online handbook/doc. That didnt work, I maybe doing something wrong. To recap, I'd like to print from freebsd 11 into the printer hosted in a raspbery pi print server, running raspbian.

ralphbsz

Daemon

With lpr/lpd this is easy: Configure lpd on the Raspbian Pi as usual, then in /etc/printcap on your "client" FreeBSD machine you just need the fields rm and rp; set them to the host name of the Raspian server and the queue name on that server. I don't know how to do it with Cups though.

OP
OP
S

stream

With lpr/lpd this is easy: Configure lpd on the Raspbian Pi as usual, then in /etc/printcap on your "client" FreeBSD machine you just need the fields rm and rp; set them to the host name of the Raspian server and the queue name on that server. I don't know how to do it with Cups though.
Unfortunately, I still don't have any luck with the ras-pi print server setup. Can you provide a concrete example of lpr/lpd. How do you setup lpd on the pi? I didn't find any online examples- they all seem to be cups based. And freebsd cups web site just does not list the network shared printer!

Also, my /etc/printcap follows the example laid out in http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html.
Am not sure that entirely applies here, because it assumes that the printer can accept raw data format. Do you suggest I do anything diferent?

lp:\
:lp=:\
:sh:\
:mx#0:\
:rm=192.168.1.33:\
:rp=raw:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

ralphbsz

Daemon

How do you setup lpd on the pi?
It seems that Raspbian (=Debian) no longer ships lpr/lpd by default. There is no lpd at all. And all the other lp* utilities are part of cups. Probably would have to first apt-get an lpr/lpd package. A quick web search (60 seconds) didn't even find any supported version of lpd for Debian any longer. Oops; maybe my advice to try lpr/lpd is not feasible, if Raspbian/Debian no longer supports it.

I didn't find any online examples- they all seem to be cups based.
Here is a printcap stanza for a remote printer that uses lpd:
Code:
hp2055dn:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=hp2055:rp=AUTO:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/hp2055dn:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sh:
Am not sure that entirely applies here, because it assumes that the printer can accept raw data format.
Why do you say that? The "rp" string in here is name of the remote print queue, not the data format.