Presence of cellular modem

Yes I used that perl script to recover a used Win 10 module from ebay.
So balanga should first look at the USB composition of his modem.

I also agree with Terry_Kennedy about locked modem. Most internal modems are not carrier locked.
The external usb stick modems are more likely to be carrier locked. These usually have a FAT partition with software and drivers in mass storage device.

Not sure what is meant by USB composition, but if I knew I would look.
If it helps, I'll use a Windows 7 disk and see if I can enable the modem...

This is controlled by the registry key HKLM > SOFTWARE > Sierra Wireless > QDL > USBCOMP. Changing it from the default of 9 (MBIM only) to 8 (MBIM / DM / NMEA / AT) gets you the full AT command set and enables the GPS. There's also a Linux script called swi_usbcomp.pl if you prefer to boot from a Linux live CD and avoid the Windows registry (assuming you're changing it for use with FreeBSD).

Also, for my MC7355 in a Dell notebook, the modem drivers are provided by Sierra (via Dell):

View attachment 9879
And the firmware is also from Sierra - as I mentioned previously, the firmware that is loaded into the modem comes from C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra Wireless Inc\Gobi\Images\5000.
I'm now running Windows 7 (God how I hate running Windows!) and the driver is similar - swg3kser01.sys - just downloaded it from Lenovo.

When I open up Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings

then I can see Mobile Broadband Connection Sierra Wireless MC8355 so it has been recognised, but when I click on it it shows Verizon Wireless, but it's greyed out (as you would expect) so the modem is definitely tied up with Verizon. So the question remains, how do I unlock it from Verizon?

Terry_Kennedy showed exactly how to see the USB composition from Windows. You must examine a registry key.

I am unfamiliar with the MC8355 but I will assume it is like the rest of the Sierra line.

You need to establish what the carrier that you want to use (your sim) has for a wireless network.
CDMA or GSM.

So you will need to flash a firmware onto your modem if you are not using Verizon.
There are a few options.
A generic firmware Sierra offers might work or perhaps a carrier specific firmware is available.
The Sierra Source site has everything you need.

Back