Preconfigured Xorg install in base system

In what way is X11 in NetBSD and OpenBSD "preconfigured"?
Is there really anything in there that is a time-saver? After all the X server should usually start without a config file these days.

Is there really anything in there that is a time-saver? After all the X server should usually start without a config file these days.
Pre-configured maybe wasn't the right term, but it's still nice to have it installed from the get go and not having to wait for it to download.

Pre-configured maybe wasn't the right term, but it's still nice to have it installed from the get go and not having to wait for it to download.
Most people download the new OS install kit anyway, so the total number of bytes doesn't change for those people who want to install a GUI; only the order of operations changes. On the contrary, the number of bytes to download increases a lot for those people who don't want to.

Exception: If you buy a pre-written DVD or USB stick (and I don't even know whether those are still available commercially). I think the standard one (distributed by the "FreeBSD Mall") contains most or all the packages required.

Both NetBSD and OpenBSD offers an install option to get Xorg with a basic window manager out of the box.

Wouldn't it be convenient if FreeBSD also adopted this?

like the approach at openbsd

ideal for updating

ghostbsd also integrated something like this

the problems are for out of the box always the vga drivers

realtime viewing of the vga during the boot process
for booting and customizing the xorg seems to be a
a problem for many

goal should be:

boot with X option wait and enjoy

since this is not the case you get the driver via the sources

comes then later an upgrade to new freebsd version

it is again over with x

sometimes with kernel panic

My opinion only, means nothing because that's what you paid for:

No on "installing X by default". We've been through this for way too many versions. A solution is better documentation as to "do this to get X installed".

Install the system.
Install the desired third party applications (Ports/Packages).

Do them in two steps and you maintain consistency in the system.

"Do you want it easy or do you want it correct".

frequent:

driver over time problem

too new hardware on existing system

primarily not a fault of freebsd
drivers are always delayed

therefore:
never use too new hardware without test and control

Installing a basic GUI with Suckless software was a rather smooth experience on OpenBSD. (For FreeBSD, I deliberately have chosen a rather fine-grained approach to installing X packages, which caused some additional work.) However, various settings require additional tweaking. I also didn't use audio yet, which require the volume buttons to be configured accordingly in dwm.

Installing a basic GUI with Suckless software was a rather smooth experience on OpenBSD. (For FreeBSD, I deliberately have chosen a rather fine-grained approach to installing X packages, which caused some additional work.) However, various settings require additional tweaking. I also didn't use audio yet, which require the volume buttons to be configured accordingly in dwm.

How come you post in a coherent paragraph all of the sudden?

Back