Power management not functioning after 2.26 update

Hello, I'm on FreeBSD 7.1-p4 i386 running GNOME 2.26, and since the update my computer's screen locks after 5 minutes. I followed the 2.26 upgrade FAQ.

I'm configured to use the default gnome-screensaver instead of xscreensaver, and in screensaver preferences it's set to regard as idle after 30 minutes.

I can't open gnome-power-preferences at all. I see a brief flash of the program window and get the following in my terminal:

(gnome-power-preferences:13802): GModule-CRITICAL **: g_module_symbol: assertion `symbol_name != NULL' failed

(gnome-power-preferences:13802): libglade-WARNING **: could not find widget creation function

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting. I use xscreensaver, and my screen does shut down after the specified time. No other power management has been checked, since the board is so old that I've turned off ACPI.

Same thing here. Gnome 2.26 configured without xscreensaver, ACPI is on:

Code:
(gnome-power-preferences:96617): GModule-CRITICAL **: g_module_symbol: assertion `symbol_name != NULL' failed

(gnome-power-preferences:96617): libglade-WARNING **: could not find widget creation function

I tried GNOME on a fresh user (no GNOME preferences), and it did the same thing.

I found that modifying the following file allows me to use the Power Management application:

/usr/local/share/gnome-power-manager/gpm-prefs.glade

Search for Custom and then comment out the Child node that contains the button information.

This looks to remove the "reset to defaults" button, but I don't know what impact this has on the rest of the program, it no longer crashes though.

I've resorted to using "xset dpms 900 0 0" to get the screen to suspend as the Power Management actually resets the dpms to 0 0 0.

The system that I see this problem in is 7.2-PRERELEASE with gnome 2.26 and friends installed via portmaster.

• Thanks
Reactions: jnr
Thanks for the solution, but the problem seems to resolve itself with the 2.26.1 update.

Back