Solved Poudriere Ignoring make.conf

After running my normal updates for this month, I see llvm80 is building inside of poudriere. In the past, I disabled llvm from building and it has not built for some time. I do not remember what I did years ago to stop it from building. Could someone point me in the right direction to determine what dependency LLVM80 is building for using a poudriere command (similar to pkg info -r pkgname)? Currently on FreeBSD 11.3 getting ready to move to 11.4. I thought my make.conf is what I used to disable the llvm port from building but that could be wrong. Here is what I have in my make.conf:

Code:
OPTIONS_UNSET+= DEBUG HELP STATIC GNUTLS DOCS EXAMPLES IPV6 \
                PTH IDN LIBIDN NLS PULSEAUDIO MANPAGES \
                DOCBOOK CUPS TESTS HTMLDOCS BONJOUR \
                APIDOCS NLS X11 FONTCONFIG

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Upon further review, it looks like poudriere is ignoring the make.conf. I've look through the UPDATING file and don't notice any changes to poudriere that would affect this. I guess my new question is why is poudriere suddenly ignoring my make.conf?

I've tried updating the make.conf file to look like this and it is still ignored.

Code:
OPTIONS_UNSET+=X11
OPTIONS_UNSET+=DEBUG
OPTIONS_UNSET+=HELP
OPTIONS_UNSET+=STATIC
OPTIONS_UNSET+=GNUTLS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=DOCS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=EXAMPLES
OPTIONS_UNSET+=IPV6
OPTIONS_UNSET+=PTH
OPTIONS_UNSET+=IDN
OPTIONS_UNSET+=LIBIDN
OPTIONS_UNSET+=NLS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=PULSEAUDIO
OPTIONS_UNSET+=MANPAGES
OPTIONS_UNSET+=DOCBOOK
OPTIONS_UNSET+=CUPS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=TESTS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=HTMLDOCS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=BONJOUR
OPTIONS_UNSET+=APIDOCS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=NLS
OPTIONS_UNSET+=FONTCONFIG

When I begin the build I do see the message:

Code:
[00:00:01] Appending to make.conf: /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/freebsd_11-3x64-make.conf

Any help is appreciated!

When you write "my make.conf", which one do you mean? Please give a path. Poudriere is supposed to ignore /etc/make.conf as per RTFM poudriere(8). The message suggests you're building for some
<tree>-<setname> or <jailname>-<tree> or such.

For starters you can just disable what is optional. Ports that depends on specific compiler or compiler version will pull that anyway.

You can inspect the poudriere jail parsing -I when bulk building:

Code:
-I          -- Advanced Interactive mode. Leaves jail running with ports
                   installed after test.

[EDIT]

And this is likely to be the case since LLVM90 is currently the default. See /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk. If this is a Desktop (anything with Xorg) I guess that is graphics/mesa-dri.

When you write "my make.conf", which one do you mean? Please give a path. Poudriere is supposed to ignore /etc/make.conf as per RTFM poudriere(8). The message suggests you're building for some
<tree>-<setname> or <jailname>-<tree> or such.

It is the make.conf for the Poudriere jail. Path to the file is:

/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/freebsd_11-3x64-make.conf

Jailname for Poudriere is:
freebsd_11-3x64

This has been working for at least a few years with my current setup. I update monthly and nothing has changed since last month in my configurations.

For starters you can just disable what is optional. Ports that depends on specific compiler or compiler version will pull that anyway.

You can inspect the poudriere jail parsing -I when bulk building:

Code:
-I          -- Advanced Interactive mode. Leaves jail running with ports
                   installed after test.

[EDIT]

And this is likely to be the case since LLVM90 is currently the default. See /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk. If this is a Desktop (anything with Xorg) I guess that is graphics/mesa-dri.

Thanks for the reply. This is not a desktop. I have not had any x11 components on the server for at least 2 years. Suddenly today when I'm performing my regular monthly updates, it wants to build x11. Nothing has changed from last month to this month with my configurations. The best I can guess with the testing I have done is that a package option is somehow overriding the make.conf file. I killed the last build after 3 hours due to LLVM and have been troubleshooting since.

After build be done, get in the jail and run pkg check -r x11 (and/or llvm80), otherwise you would need to inspect every involved port manually.

There are a few reasons for that: X11 is now mandatory (at least) to build some port; X11 is being pulled by some other new option in some port you are not aware of etc.

This is quite unlikely a port OPTION will override the make.conf unless that option was manually set ON. This is just not supposed to happen.

[EDIT]

Alternativelly, if you have the poudriere web interface configured you can have a quick look to see what is pulling X11/LLVM80, or inspect the logs...

After build be done, get in the jail and run pkg check -r x11 (and/or llvm80), otherwise you would need to inspect every involved port manually.

There are a few reasons for that: X11 is now mandatory (at least) to build some port; X11 is being pulled by some other new option in some port you are not aware of etc.

This is quite unlikely a port OPTION will override the make.conf unless that option was manually set ON. This is just not supposed to happen.

Gothcha, thanks. I'll let the build complete overnight and troubleshoot from there.

Really do appreciate the help!

You must also understand that some dependencies of x11 might be a must-have if not the whole x11. A lot of them were recently "merged into" one pkg. Mesa-libs is one of such that will always find its way in.

Sorry for the implications in my previous post. I could have guessed from your post that you know what you're doing. You're a "new user", and some do not get the basics right...

Thanks everyone for the help. It turns out that it was the Wordpress package that was suddenly pulling in the x11 dependencies. This must have just changed from last month as it has never built them before. Luckily we have not been using Wordpress for some time on these servers so I just removed it from the poudriere-list. After removing it from the list the x11 and llvm packages did not build.

Thanks again everyone for the assistance!

Back