Postscreen and/or milter-greylist

I've had some issues with Ebay emails not being delivered since I started using milter-greylist. I have created a manual whitelist to allow ebay.com and ebay.co.uk to allow the email to be delivered.

Have you experienced issues like this with milter-greylist? I don't remember ever having any issues with postgrey but since using milter-greylist I have had to whitelist a few domains and one IP address.

The problem with whitelisting domain names is that if someone spoofs their address it'll sneak through the greylisting! And for someone as big as Ebay I don't know what all the SMTP IP addresses are to be able to whitelist them.

I was just curious how other people deal with these kinds of issues with greylisting (milter-greylist in particular)?

I've whitelisted some domains with no notable problems. Forgery of the From: line is not going to be a problem, because it's going to look at the DNS hostname of the sender instead. Of course whitelisting the domain requires getting the right domain, and a lot of large sites outsource email or have servers under a different domain than the obvious one. It's easy to see these when the mail gets hits the greylist for the first time.

I know I'm a bit late with my response and I also realize that my comment maybe plain out moot at this point in time, but I can't help wonder if you realize(d) that mail/postgrey also provides whitelists? You have postgrey_whitelist_recipients as well as postgrey_whitelist_clients which you can use for that.

Figured I'd mention it because when going over this thread it almost looks as if Postgrey doesn't support this feature while in fact it does.

Back