postgresql

I am interested in trying out postgresql.

What is the latest stable release version for a production server.

What is considered the best practice for setting it up with freebsd. The current howto's and quickstart guides online seem a bit dated.

I do get an error when running the command postgres. something about the -D option.

I also don't think the daemon is launching when I start it.

I get no output and nothing in ps or top

I am not on my machine right now. I will post the error when I'm on my bsd box later.

UNIXgod said:
I don't know what this has to do with postgres
It's spam, either ignore it or report it. The mods will delete it eventually :e

Nice guide. I can't get the daemon to start. I get no output when running:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql start

I have nothing in ps or top after the command is run as well.

I have used mysql over the years for various php cms's. I am starting to teach myself ruby on rails and wanted to experiment with postgres.

After adding postgresql_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql initdb

You can the edit /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf and /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf to taste, then run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql start

Did you enable it in /etc/rc.conf? Did you look at the log?

X-Istence said:
What are you planning on doing with an SQL database? It may be simpler and require less work on your part to take a look at MySQL instead. PostgreSQL has always required more tuning and is harder to learn right off the bat.

It's true that Postgres installation can be troublesome on occasions. BUT... stick with it! In my experience the few hours you might spend getting it working properly will *easily* pay back many times over once it's running, compared to MySQL. I've never understood the argument that MySQL is just "so easy". Yes installation is simple, but I've wasted so much time fighting its poor SQL compliance and use-free syntax error messages. On top of that, if your DB needs are advanced, then you'll find that Postgres will let you easily accomplish things that MySQL simply can't.

I didn't mean this to turn into a religous battle, I just don't want you to give up at step 1! :e

My brain is fried right now but if you're still having trouble let me know.

/sim

Oh, and in answer to your question, and as everyone has said, 8.3[.5] is the one to go for right now. You can be very confident that each Release is stable and of a very high quality. I've been running all the latest releases since 8.0.0 in production, with never a problem. The PostgreSQL release process has a very good reputation, being based on code quality instead of release schedules and marketing. In that way it very much reminds me of FreeBSD...

/sim

Back