Solved Postfix not authenticating

I have installed Postfix on my server, from the pkg repository, I also have Dovcot installed, again from the pkg repository. I can receive e-mails alright and I can send e-mails if I am logged into the e-mail server locally. However, I cannot send e-mails using a client on another computer. The client, Thunderbird in this case, reports the transaction has been dropped partway through the authentication process.

Looking the in maillog file I find the following entry for each connection:
Code:
Nov  6 17:25:43 resonatingmedia postfix/smtpd[80020]: warning: SASL: Connect to smtpd failed: No such file or directory
Nov  6 17:25:43 resonatingmedia postfix/smtpd[80020]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
Nov  6 17:25:44 resonatingmedia postfix/master[80017]: warning: process /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid 80020 exit status 1
Nov  6 17:25:44 resonatingmedia postfix/master[80017]: warning: /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling

What I find maddening is that every so often my e-mail client will connect and successfully send a message, but it's only about 1/50 attempts that succeeds. All other attempts to send a message fail with the corresponding log entires shown above.

I tried installing Postfix from ports and enabled SASL during the configuration. This allowed me to send one e-mail using Thunderbird, but all following attempts failed. Again, the log entries shown above started to appear. And, with the Postfix from ports installed I can no longer receive e-mails.

Thoughts on how I can fix this? I'd like to be able to both send and receive e-mail using Postfix with Thunderbird as my e-mail client.

Did you build Postfix with Dovecot support?

My options for Postfix are:

Code:
Options  :
   DOVECOT2  : on
   PCRE  : on
   SASL2  : on
   TLS  : on

I did have those settings enabled, but now that I look at it again, I realize I configured Postfix to use Dovecot, not Dovecot 2. I'm going to re-build and try again. Thank you

Update: Now I can receive e-mail okay and check it using Thunderbird. It seems as though I can send e-mail, but my messages are not arriving at their destinations. Going to fiddle a little more with Postfix and see if I can figure out why my messages are not arriving at the other end.

Another update: Turns out the reason Postfix wasn't sending mail was it was running in a chroot and was unable to see my /etc/services and /etc/resolv.conf files. I copied these two files into the chroot directory, /var/spool/postfix/etc/, and the mail server is working now.

Back